Chapter 37 - The Lying Incident

The girls walked down the back road, behind Ariana's row of houses. The big white villa had an window open on the top floor and Ariana was leaning out of it.

"Ariana!" Leighton waved to her.

"Hey girls! I'll be down in a minute." She called and disappeared inside.

The girls threw their bags into Ariana's backyard over the tall fence, and climbed over. Jumping down onto the warm fresh grass felt so good. Ariana came out, sashayed up to them and completed the performance with a twirl that send her light ponytail flying. Her hair looked like rose gold, in the late summer's afternoon light.

"Where have you guys been all day?" She asked the girls.

"We went to see the guys' football game. They played against the Indey team." Sarah let out a sigh of amazement. "Why didn't you come?"

"I have better things to do than watch a group of dogs chase a rugby ball." She playfully rolled her eyes.

"They're actually still playing. We left early to come see if everything's fine with you. None of us heard from you all day." Leighton smiled.

"Do you wanna come see them?" Brooklyn asked. "They're still playing the second half."

"No... I have other plans." Ariana rested her hands of her hips and stared blankly into the window of the neighbouring house.

"Right. We'll go back then, ok?" Hazel turned, ready to walk away.

"Wait girls, stay here." She sighed. "I have something I need you guys to help me with."

"Ok..." Sarah frowned.

"So we're going to miss the rest of the game for this?" Brooklyn raised an eyebrow.

"Marissa was the centre of attention at the football game, wasn't she?" Ariana narrowed her eyes looking from one girl to the other.

"She was on top of the cheer leading squad's pyramid." Leighton shrugged.

"Hm. Does she enjoy having everyone worship at her pedestal?" Ariana paused. A smirk sprang onto her face. "Trust me you guys will like this."

"Ariana... why are we in here? We shouldn't be in here!" Sarah whispered, but it was more like a stage whisper. Just to make it clear Sarah sucks at whispering.

"If we get caught we'll be in so much trouble!" Leighton hissed. "This is basically trespassing."

"We won't get caught." Ariana rolled her eyes at the pathetic others who trailed behind her and Brooklyn, like lost puppies.

She continued walking ahead. "Trust me I know. Marissa is my neighbour I always know when her parents go out."

"What about her brother? What if he's home?" Hazel shuddered at the thought of Tradis being here. She and him never had a good relationship.

"He's at the game. Just like his sister who is flashing her ass, to all the Sherbor Alley teens." Ariana laughed. "This window doesn't close properly. Pull at it. You're the strongest, Leighton."

Leighton felt flattered.

The white wooden framework of the window slammed against the wall. One by one, the girls climbed into Marissa's house.

It was quiet and quite dark. All the lights were off and the sun had time to set, while they argued weather they should go into Marissa's empty house or not.

"But why should we basically... break into your neighbours' property. Give me one good reason and I'll do it." Brooklyn sighed, earlier on.

"She took something from me. I need to find it." Ariana wouldn't let it go. "And you guys need to come with me!"

"Why don't YOU take care of YOUR own buisness and WE go back to the football game?" Leighton pleaded.

"Where's the fun in that?" Ariana asked.

"Fine. Whatever guys. I'll go." Brooklyn sighed.

"Me too..." Sarah said quietly.

"If she goes I go!" Hazel nodded.

"Great. Ok that's settled." Ariana said and started pulling herself over the fence. "Leighton, would you give me a boost?"

And they were over the fence. Now they were inside the deserted house. Ariana walked up the stairs. Like she guessed the exact location of Marissa's room.

"Strange how... she knows where everything is," Hazel whispered to Sarah. "Like she was here before..."

Ariana flew up the staircase. The girls trudged along after her.

They entered Marissa's room to see Ariana kneeling on the carpet, in front of a chest of drawers. The insides of the drawers were allover the floor

As they came up behind her she spun around with a distraught look spilled on her face .

"Ariana...?" Sarah asked quietly. "What is it that Marissa took from you."

Ariana looked from one to another and she took a deep breath like she was about to answer.

Precipitously, sounds shot to their ears from downstairs.

"Shh!" Ariana hissed and pressed her finger onto Leighton's lips.

"Pfff... get off!" She shook her hand away.

"SHHH! SHUT. UP." Ariana glared at her, speaking through clenched teeth.

Sounds of someone closing the front door, echoed down stairs. Footsteps walked up to the second floor.

"Tradis? Where the hell are you?" Marissa's superior tone was in her voice. "Is anyone home?"

Ariana almost let out a gasp. Marissa was back early from the football game.

She guestured for the girls to stay put, and tiptoed soundlessly out to the corridor. She could see Marissa down stairs, with her hands on her hips, holding her yellow cheer leading bag.

Ariana hid behind the banister of the staircase. She could hear her slowly come up. Just another step and she would see Ariana. Just another step and Ariana would be in the crap of a lifetime. Jus about.

"Hey Marissa." Ariana jumped from behind the banister.

"What the h-?" She gasped.

"Time to calm down." Ariana smirked. Walking firmly towards, her with a sick smile.

Marissa backed away. Yet Ariana kept walking forward, staring her straight in her dark brown eyes. Without warning Ariana pushed her back.

Down.. down... down the stairs she fell.

Marissa was at the foot of the stairs, laying on the floor, seemingly unconscious. There seemed to be a little tiny stream of blood trailing from her forehead.

"What just happened here?" Brooklyn and the others ran up.

The sound of a key being turned in the front door lock reached them. They looked at each other alarmed.

"Girls, get out of here!" They ran after Ariana to the open window of the guest bedroom.