Chapter 4 - Leighton

"Your papers please." Mrs Mitchell held her hand out, asking around the class.

She walked to Brooklyn's desk and collected hers. Then she collected Hazel's and Sarah's...

"Fallon, your paper please." She stood by Fallon's desk narrowing her eyes.

"In sorry miss I didn't find any base to write it on." Fallon shrugged.

"You had a whole afternoon to write this." Mrs Mitchell raised her eyebrows. "And unless nothing whatsoever happened in your life since... I don't know... last summer, then you have no excuse."

"I just didn't have anything suitable for a school paper." Fallon stared her right in the eyes.

"Brooklyn wrote about... " she picked out Brooklyn's paper. "About a family camping trip. Ashley wrote about her visit to New York Fashion Week. Leigh wrote about..."

The teacher stared at the paper for some time. She quickly moved on.

"Jay your paper please... Sonia your paper. Monica your paper please."

Fallon turned around in her chair to face Hazel. She gave her a strange look.

"What did she write about?" She whispered.

"How would I know?" Hazel hissed.

Today Leigh clearly must have gotten over moving house. She was back at school as if nothing had ever happened.

At least that's what is seemed like to most people. Hazel, however realised that something was wrong. They've know each other longer than they knew the others, and that really meant alot.

The others caught up with her, as she walked out of class.

Mrs Mitchell stopped them.

"Leighton, would you mind to come and have a word with me?" She put one hand on her shoulder. She looked at the others.

"...privetly."

"What happened?" Sarah blinked.

"I'll be out in a minute." Leighton stared at the teacher. She nudged her hand off her shoulder and reluctantly followed her into the classroom.

The door got shut.

"What was that about?" Fallon walked towards her locker pulling Brooklyn and Hazel behind her. Sarah kind of trotted along beside her.

"Leigh seemed strange before class today." Hazel narrowed her eyes. "She seems... depressed."

"Oh?" Fallon put her bag into her locker.

"Yeah, she wouldn't speak to me. She barely even looked at me." Brooklyn added.

"It seems she's-" Fallon didn't finish. Leigh drifted up to them. Her lips were in a tight sort of smile.

"So?" She stood looking from one to another.

"What did she tell you in there?" Fallon frowned. Leigh waved a piece of paper in her hand.

"She suggested that I see a councillor." She tilted her head and raised her eyebrows.

"What about?" Sarah gasped.

"This." She held out the piece of paper. It was the essay they were supposed to write based of a real happening.

Some sentences were underlined in red.

Fallon took it and started reading the bits in red.

She became depressed over the loss of her best friend. Just seeing everyday things, kitchen utensils, books even her own friends became a frustration.

She missed her like crazy.

Fallon didn't say anything. She really didn't know what to say. It was obvious what this was about.

She could clearly understand each word. She just whispered to her self.

Wow.

Was this really how Leigh felt. Brooklyn took the essay from her. Her eyes widened as she read the first few lines.

"Wow maybe you do need a councillor." She handed the paper back to Leigh.

"No you need a girls night!" Fallon nudged her and winked.