Chapter 27 - French Kissin' on the Sofa

"Just after you guys went into the fortune teller, I noticed Jay disappeared. Then someone held me and injected me with the sleeping medication."

"And from the way you say it... you think it was Jay?" Fallon frowned.

"The guy is suspicious." Sarah said. "I mean who comes to a Halloween fair dressed as a topless Hawaiian lady?"

"Someone with a really bad sense of appropriateness, not a serial killer." Brooklyn replied.

"Anyway, did you sleep well?" Asked Hazel, sitting down on the end of Sarah's bed.

"No." Sarah sighed. "Hospital mattresses suck. Where's Leigh?"

"She's AWOL" Brooklyn raised one eyebrow.

"She's mad at me." Shrugged Fallon.

"It couldn't have been Ariana that injected her." Brooklyn shook her head.

She and Fallon went to the Corner Cafe after visiting Sarah at hospital. "Sarah said she got injected when we were inside the tent."

"It definitely wasn't Ariana!" Fallon sipped from her plastic cup of coffee. "Ariana was in the tent with us, she was the fortune teller, remember."

"How could I forget?" Brooklyn sighed. "I still haven't figured out that dark secret about my dad."

"Please. There is no secret." Fallon smiled. "I bet she just made that up to scare you."

"I think there might be something she knows about my dad." Brooklyn shrugged. "And I'm sure I would have found out soon of..."

"...If she didn't jump." Fallon said quietly. "How do you feel about that?"

"I don't know..." Brooklyn shook her head. "She's done so much to torture me over the years... but on the other hand she was my friend."

"She's done MUCH more to torture me. All of you did, you know." Fallon laughed.

"We were under her hypnotic spell. Leighton still is." She sighed. "But I'm really sorry."

Brooklyn came home late that evening, to a sickening sight. Sutton and Adison were snogging all over the sofa in the living room.

"Ehem," she faked a cough. "I'm here you know."

Sutton immediately sat up right.

"Relax babe, it's just Brooky." Adison laughed.

"Please... don't call me 'Brooky'" Brooklyn walked to the stairs. "Ugh you guys disgust me. At least take it upstairs. What if mum comes in?"

"Show some love, niece." Adison called after her.

"No, sorry!" She yelled from upstairs.

Brooklyn walked into her room. It was already pretty dark at this time, now that the days were getting shorter.

She switched the light on.

She gasped.

All her pillows were off her bed and onto the floor. Her clothes had been thrown out of the wardrobe.

Brooklyn's laptop was laying screen-down on the carpet. She quickly picked it up and put it on her desk.

Who was in here?