Chapter Seven

Noah had to go back to the mansion, he couldn't avoid it like the black plague no matter how much he wanted to. He still had his clothes there and he needed a place to stay until the exam. (Plus the mission, but he was ignoring it until it came to him.) Noah held the sleeping Seven in his coat as he got out of the car.

His brother, Roderich was looking at the sky, leaning on the stair railing. Noah could only look the other way, trying to walk as far away as possible. When he passed him, Roderich finally said something. His voice was quiet with sadness and guilt. "We don't know you that well, do we? We tried to protect you, to shelter you from the world. Yet, we never spent much time with you."

Noah gripped the pole that was attached to the top of the stair railing. He could feel the faint vicious satisfaction of the old Maia, the one who was always overlooked by everyone, including her family. She had grown up bitter and lonely, Noah couldn't blame her. But he also couldn't continue to carry that bitterness on for her.

He could try, he did try for a bit, but Noah — he wasn't made for that. His anger was hard to truly light and hard to continuingly burn. It made him more depress than anything. He let his shoulders drop as his head hung a bit, Seven had woken up by then. His fluffy head nestled up against Noah's chin comforting. "Yeah, none of you really do."

Noah turned around, looking down on Roderich, who had pulled out a cigarette. He lit it with a small flame that came from his fingers, eyes downwards in deep thought. "Are you angry?" He finally asked, Noah felt his throat close up at the small question.

Eventually, he had found his voice, the swirling storm left behind in his heart was hard to tame. He leaned his head against the pole, eyes closed as he tried to explain her emotions. "I– Yes, I'm not going to lie. "

Noah could practically feel the way Roderich had tensed up. Noah needed to tell him this, despite how much he wanted to run away. She needed to move on, Noah needed her to move on. She had chosen to trade this life for a different one. This life belongs to him now, so he needed to get everything aired out.

"In some ways, I'm bitter and angry, and in others, I am tired. Maybe I am doing this for payback and maybe you see this as stupid and childish. But I am not going to change my mind." Noah pushed off lightly, their head held up high as they left.

[Ding! Update: 2/5 brothers!]

Noah wanted to cry, but held back as he put 'family drama' on the cons list. Seven made a calming purring sound as he rubbed his head against their chin in comfort. He had learned that cats doing this to them had a calming effect. As his host lightly scratched his neck, he figured it wouldn't be too bad doing this.

-x-

Standing in the middle of the room, Noah held out his left hand, a single finger pointing a bit above the target. He quickly slashed down, leave a white line of magic. His right hand swiped across it, making it cross. And after that, his left palm pushed on it, while he called out a spell. "Icicle!"

An ice spear pierced the target, the very tip of it got shattered when it had hit the enchanted wall behind it. Off to the side, a machine beeped while it showed off a number. '105 mph!'

"Wow! A new record!" Seven cheered as Noah stepped back, rolling his shoulders. They were getting tired, but Noah could feel something staining. He had a guess on what it could be, so he used Seven as a source of motivation to continue on. "Do the tornado!"

Noah stood with his hands out and legs spread, snow started to swirl around his hands. He pushed off the ground, spinning faster as his legs closed together. Eventually a snow tornado appeared, glowing a light blue. "Tornado of Ice Shreds!"

It moved forward, shredding the target like its name said. Noah fell down, stumbling to his knees as he gasped. Seven gently pushed a green crystal in his hand, Noah gripped it as he started to absorb it. "What-what level is it?"

"Level 4!" Seven answered him happily, "Mama-I mean my master allowed me to get some before I left!"

If Noah could sweatdrop, he would. He knew that the wheel spoiled the little system, but now he knew that their relationship was completely different than what he thought. At first, he thought it was more like a sibling bond, but its a parent and child bond. "Do I want to know how many?"

"I just got lots of level one crystals and a couple of gems!" Seven giggled happily. Noah felt like his sweat was no longer about the training he had done.

"They aren't filled, right?" Noah sat up, the crystal was a quarter gone, still getting absorbed. He truly didn't think it would be this long. In the story, they made it seem like it was an immediate action. But he guess it would be boring to pay attention to it when you had been doing it your whole life. 

Seven shook his head and brought out the potion, opening it for his host. "Ah, don't drink this one. Just smear it over your wounds." Noah immediately put some on the gash that was on his upper arm.

"I can't do this again until after the exams," Noah sighed as the wound started to close before his eyes. "I will probably just workout lightly until then."

"Host! Host, you are leveling up!" Seven cheered as the final piece of crystal disappeared. Noah looked at his hand with a bit of disgust and awe. His hair whipped around him as his magic broke through to the next level. "So beautiful!"

The author had a love for magic girls and games, it's where her idea of the story had come from. Sadly, that meant Noah had to do certain movements to practice magic. Noah could just yell the name, but the movements refined their magic, making it easier to control and form. Most people repeat the same spells over and over until their magic remembers how it moved.

Leveling up came with their own light show, making sure everyone knows what's happening. Most people do it off the battlefield as it could be dangerous to draw attention to yourself. You would also need crystals or gems to level up. You can't just break through levels by just practicing magic.

You also couldn't just buy a whole bunch of crystals or gems, you would need to feed it your magic until it's full. Your magic core also has to be empty just enough so it could be safely absorbed.

"Maia! Get up, we have to get food in you!" Seven pushed them up gently, shocking Noah with the name he called him. Until they realized that one of his new brothers were watching them.

"Theodore," Noah called out weakly while smiling. Standing up, he carefully stepped forward, one after another. He made it to the control panel where he shut off the barrier. "I think I may have over done it."

Theodore was by his side in a flash, Noah's arm over his shoulder and a hand steadying him. They made their way quietly to Noah's room, it was peaceful and relaxing. Until the little shit had the guts to say he still didn't approve of her career choice.

"I don't need your approval."

"But you want it." He got the door slammed on him shortly after. Noah jumped on the bed, screaming into the pillow.

[June 16th, 2017
2/5 brothers
3 days 10 Hours 15 min. 1 sec. until The Exam] 

He screamed louder.

-x-

A/N: List of the Rhea Family

Aldric Rhea, father, age 59

Roderick Rhea, oldest brother, age 33

Damian Rhea, second brother, age 32

Rhodes Rhea, third brother, age 28

Theodore Rhea, fourth brother, age 24

Stephen Rhea, youngest brother, age 22

Maia Rhea/Noah Walker, youngest, age 18