Chapter Eight

A/N: My crappy drawing of Seven and his fluffy butt. He's like a mix of a cat and a miniature dog with a long neck.

-x-

Days pass and soon it was Monday, on this beautiful sunny day.... Noah was screaming into a pillow again. Nothing worked, baking cookies, cooking good ol' fry bread with soup, talking to them, even ignoring them didn't work. Noah lift up his head to grab his cheesy fry bread when he realized that Seven was eating it.

He didn't even think when he slammed his face back down to fake cry. Seven pat his head soothingly, nibbling on the bread. "There, there, want some of my blueberries?" He set them down next to Noah, who blindly grabbed some. "This is only your second mission, it's okay if you fail."

"No, it's not, okay?" Noah sat up, brushing back his hair. Seven floated down on his lap, rubbing his fluffy head against Noah's stomach. "This is more than a mission, this is one of Maia's death wishes. I can't carry her weight around when I am trying to deal with mine. I got until tomorrow morning, then I will enter a deadly exam with millions of people watching me!"

"Yes, but... you will have me," Seven told them hesitantly. Noah looked at him, his eyes that seemed to grow with hope and innocence that Noah couldn't ruin with his bad mood. Seven was happy when his host agreed and pulled him into their lap. "She will leave, okay? She has to, it's a part of the deal, she can't break it."

"Okay, okay," Noah pet his head, running their fingers through the soft fur. Noah pressed a small kiss on Seven's forehead. "We have to pack everything we got for tomorrow."

"En, the bag is already filled with all the survival equipment, what else do we need?" Seven asked, almost purring when Noah rubbed behind his head, where most cats had ears.

"We need to get a few healing potions and a filter water bottle with some tablets for purifying." He told him, it may be overdoing it, but the survival test was almost a whole week long in the book. There were only ten people who died and that was considered a good year for the exams. "I had a couple of Damian's men go get us a few things from the market."

Seven purred gently, calming his host who has been rambling on about anything since the morning. He didn't want to tell them that his ears were starting to ring. "We are leaving tonight, right?"

"Yeah, we are going to take the train there, it leaves in five hours." Noah sighed, scratching Seven's chin. "We get there by four o'clock, it's going to be a long ride there, will you be okay?"

"Yup! I am made up of tough stuff!" Seven's magic formed long skinny arms that flexed pathetically. Making Noah smile as he nodded in agreement. "Look at these! They can easily left up a ton! No sweat!" He hopped off the bed and picked it up with Noah still on.

Noah sucked in air sharply before coughing as he pat his chest. "That's a-amazing." He praised weakly as he tried to push back the shock. Seven did like to brag but he had a immaturity to him that made Noah forget that he could bend time and space. Seven was a kid in his eyes, a small thing to protect and hold. But he really is not one.

"I know!" He set down the bed gently, before climbing back up it to sit down on Noah's lap again. His little chest was puffed up as his head bumped against Noah's chin. Seven silently celebrated when his host started to pet him again, not saying anything.

Hehehe, he won this round, Anxiety! He started to pur loudly as his host let out a peaceful air.

-x-

Noah tightened the strap on his travel bag before grabbing Seven off of the ground. Seven wiggled around in his pouch carrier, before finding a comfortable place. They looked into the mirror while Noah posed heroically, his gold eyes shining. "Are you ready for our destiny? For the beginning of our great story?"

Seven nodded firmly, Noah smirked as he pointed at the mirror. "Are you ready, World? Are you, punk?! We are going to turn your head and flip you on your axis! Your people are going to write about the great and beautiful Maia! Ahahaha!"

"...that sounds more like what a villain would say, not a hero," Seven told them. Noah froze in middle of his laughter. "But if you want to be a villain, let me do the evil laugh too. Mwahahaha!" He threw his back and let out the cutest evil laughter in history.

"No, I didn't mean it like that, I meant to make it a hero speech like most do before their own story!" Noah rubbed their face before shaking their head. "Let's go, before we miss our train."

"My laugh was perfect though, did you not hear it? How can I be a hero with a laugh that will scare children?" Seven asked his host as he mourned the chance to burn down a building just so he can laugh over it. Imagine the fear the sight will strike in people! Seven would make a great villain!

Noah pat his head as they walked out of the room. "I know, it was. But I want to help people, so you will have to wait to use that laugh. Maybe when we tell a story, we can use your laughter."

Seven pouted as he mentally grinned at the soft and warm feeling his host was sharing through their bond. Mwahaha, looks like the great Seven had beat the dark cloud again!

/(Acting cute and adorable can make the best hosts happy! Sending to all Systems!)\

\{Various Villain and Cannon Fodder Systems typing...}/

Seven didn't pay attention as Noah put a hat on Seven's head with a small grin. Seven didn't think it matched his collar but he was willing to be a fashion disaster for his host. It was a small price to feel their magic calm down.

-x-

Stephen froze, watching his sister walk to the front door. Her little Beast was inside a Pouch made for cute and small animals for owners to carry around their pets. Not Beasts who are usually too picky and intelligent to allow their Bonded to treat them like pets. But her Beast seems to enjoy her babying, soaking it in as she talked and cooed at him.

She looked like she was going on a hike with her giant bag and plain combat boots. A old Fisher's hat was on her head along with sunglasses. She didn't look like she was heading to a exam that could mean death or walking down a short road where it leads to death or a crazy house. It was like she was going on a camping trip.

Stephen strode towards her, his jaw set as he blocked the front door. "Where exactly do you think you are going, Maia?" His hand went behind him and locked it with a flick of his fingers.

Maia blinked at him before smiling, "to the train station. Excuse me, I am running late." She pushed him away easily, surprising him. Just before she could unlock the door, he pulled her back and took his spot again. She looked at him while her beast started to growl lowly. "Stephan, move. I ain't going to fight you on this. I am going. To. The. Exams."

Stephen scoffed, shaking his head at her. "Over my dead body. There is no way, I am letting you go to your death because you are being a baby! This isn't a game! Being a Adventurer is a hard and difficult life! Filled with hardships and painful ways to die!" He screamed at her, because this had to be the most stupid career choice she could have picked.

Maia turned and walked to the window next to the door. Stephen watched, frozen as she took off the screen and climbed through it. He slammed open the door as she pulled out her bag. "Don't ignore me! I am not letting you go! I will not let you walk to your fucking death because you are being stupid!"

"I am?" She asked calmly, her hands working to get on the bag. Her beast was looking at him, big eyes peeking through a layer of fur. Seven looked down, his hat covering his eyes. "I never said that I was intelligent or clever like you guys. But I am not fucking stupid. I know what I am getting into. I know the dangers and the aftermath of having a life like this."

"Then why? Why do you continued to try and walk it?" Stephen asked her, his hands clenching up. "We can get you anything you want, just tell us. Do you want Fame? Money? What do you want?"

Maia laughed harshly, "I want to become a Adventurer. I want to explore the world, to meet new people and help them. I want to fight monsters of all kinds." She looked him in the eye and Stephen wanted to look away but he won't. "I want to become my own person."

Stephen didn't move to stop her. He stared at the wall, feeling lost and confused. What happened to his sister? Why? Who is she?...Did Stephen really knew his baby sister? (Does she even know who she was?)