christmas

The house smelled of pine cone and gingerbread. Upbeat Christmas music droned faintly in the background. In the dimly lit living room, Chucky was seated on your couch, swinging his little legs to the music. You stuck the last of the dishes in the dishwasher and closed it, walking over to where Chucky sat.
"You ready for Santa to come tonight?" you asked, placing him in your lap.
He nodded excitedly. "Santa's gonna bring me lots of toys to play with!"
You snorted and rested your chin on his head. This was your first Christmas with him, and you had decided to inform him about the whole 'Santa' thing, letting him believe in him as you would a small child.
"Y'know what's funny? Most people worry about being on Santa's naughty list, but you're so sweet and kind you don't even have to try," you giggled.
  He smiled from ear to ear. "Really?"
  "Mhm," you nodded and brushed some hair out of his face.
That night, you carefully snuck out of bed and retrieved the presents you had wrapped prior, placing them each under the tree. Once you were done, you slipped back into bed beside Chucky, hoping he hadn't noticed.
You awoke to Chucky gently shaking you. When you opened your eyes, his face was inches from yours, an eager grin plastered on his face.
"(Y/n), wake up! I wanna see if Santa came!" he chirped.
Chuckling, you sat up and rubbed your eyes, then picked him up and went to the living room.
As soon as you rounded the corner, he spotted the presents under the tree, immediately starting to bounce up and down in your arms.
"Yay! He came!" he cheered.
You continued to chuckle as you set him down and watched him bolt towards the tree. He grasped the nearest present in his little hands and dragged it out from underneath. Once settled, he looked up at you expectantly.
"Go ahead," you smiled and gave a nod.
You had bought Chucky mostly things you would give to a toddler: stuffed animals, some new board games, and even a little winter cap, which you knew he didn't need but thought it would be cute.
After he had opened all his presents, he turned to where you were sitting next to him and smiled up at you, giving one of his stuffed animals he held a squeeze. You snorted and scooped him up.
"Merry Christmas, sweetheart," you said as you kissed his forehead.
"Merry Christmas, (Y/n)!"