outside

"(Y/n), you wanna play now?"
You paused from washing dishes when you felt a small tug on your pant leg followed by Chucky's cheerful voice. Chuckling, you knelt down and gathered him to your chest.
"Sure, baby. What do you wanna play?"
Chucky eyed the window behind you where a warm breeze drifted through the crack, sunlight streaming through the glass from a clear blue sky.
"Can we go play outside?" he asked excitedly.
"Of course we can!" you smiled and nuzzled his forehead with your nose.
The sun felt nice on your skin as you made your way through your backyard and to the small pond not far away. Once there, you sat on the soft grass and set Chucky in your lap. Wrapping your arms snugly around him, you took a deep breath and let the warm spring day relax you.
A small splash in the water ahead of you caught your attention. "Hey, Chucky, look at that! It's a fish," you exclaimed, pointing at the small blue gill weaving among the shallow end of the pond.
"Fishy!" Chucky piped and gave a little bounce. You snorted and buried your face in his hair.
"You're too cute," you snickered. The little doll made you happier than you could imagine. He was the adorable light of your life, the highlight of each and every day.
You spotted a few newly sprouted petunias on your right. Leaning over to pluck one, you held it in front of Chucky.
"Here. I know it's not much, but you always make me presents and I thought you deserved one, too."
Chucky delicately took the flower from you and held it close. "Thank you, (Y/n)!" he cried as if it were the most amazing gift in the world.
"You're welcome, buddy," you murmured and lifted him into your arms to cradle him tight.
"Do you wanna sing the buddi song?" he asked.
  "Sure, honey," you laughed. "I love when you sing to me."
Although he constantly asked to sing the song, you never got tired of hearing it and would always gladly let him sing to you.
As you caressed his hair while he sang, you closed your eyes and savored the moment graciously, wondering what you would do without him.