23. Floodgates Open

The corridors of Hogwarts were always bustling with people between lessons, yet Albus felt completely alone. His fourth year at Hogwarts hadn't proved better than any of the other previous years, and he'd started giving up hope that they'd ever improve.

Keeping his head down, he hugged his books close to his chest, his robes billowing behind him as he walked as fast as he could. There were some perks to being shorter than average fourth year, which included his ability to slip through crowds unnoticed.

Usually unnoticed.

As he crossed the courtyard, someone blocked his path. Albus found himself in the shadow of a much larger Slytherin student.

Matthias towered over him, his hands on his hips as he sneered down at the much smaller, 14-year-old Albus. Fresh from the quidditch pitch, Matthias sported his Slytherin uniforms, now spotted with dirt and grass stains. Beside him, Ryker and Silas back him up, eager to cause a little chaos.

"If it isn't Peewee Potter, the failure of the Slytherin house."

Albus tried to ignore their heckling and push past them but they weren't letting him get away that easy. Ryker slammed into Albus' shoulder, blocking his way.

With a huff, Albus tried again, to no avail. Matthias whipped out his wand and with a flick, Albus' feet were torn from the solid ground. Flung back through the air, Albus hit the ground hard on his back, knocking the air from his lungs.

Matthias and his friends cackled as Albus lay helpless in the grass. The students around the courtyard whispered and stared but no one bothered to intervene.

Sore, Albus sat up, a shooting pain in his lower back. There'd be a bruise forming soon enough. As he tried to stand, SIlas knocking him down again with a wave of his wand.

"What? Not gonna fight back like your father?" Matthias sniggered, "Oh wait... you don't know how to..."

With the mention of his father, something dark and fiery ignited in his stomach. Albus jumped up, pulling out his wand from his robe pocket and striding right up to Matthias, the tip aimed at his face.

"Oooh I'm petrified," He said with sarcasm, not intimidated in the slightest.

Something in Albus snapped and he shouted "Locomotor Mortis!" Slashing his wand through the air, Albus expected - or at least hoped - that Matthias' legs would lock up, giving Albus the chance to escape.

But instead, only a few dull sparks fell from the tip of his wand and it emitted a soft whimper. Albus' heart dropped into his stomach as he stood frozen in front of Matthias' athletic frame--utterly defenceless.

Next to him, Silas burst out laughing, almost to the point of tears, "You've got to be joking. Peewee Potter can't even manage a first-year spell? Pathetic!"

Bracing himself, Albus watched as Silas raised his wand to cast another spell aimed at him. Albus was helpless, unable to rely on magic. All he could do was bear through the pain and humiliation.

"Expelliarmus!" He heard someone shout. But it wasn't Silas's snide voice, nor Matthias or Ryker's.

The bully's wand was flung from his clenched fist, knocked to the ground. Shocked by the unexpected disarming, Silas and his friends stepped back.

Albus glanced back to see who had cast the spell and was overcome with relief when he saw the familiar face of Scorpius. Even Scorpius looked stunned by his own power, his eyes wide with a mix of wonder and fear. Before they could do anything to stop him, Scorpius grabbed Albus' arm pulling him off the ground and taking off running out of the courtyard.