(iii) stranger things.

11: 00 PM: MAYA.

Why was it packed?
Our stomachs had agreed that stopping at Waffle House before heading home to an empty kitchen was best. With traffic and more, we finally pulled our hungry asses into the lot. It was extremely frustrating to have to stand in these heels, since we were waiting for a booth to open. After finding one, we all glanced at the menu. The waitress came, an AirPod in her ear as she took her order. In annoyance, she repeated the order back to us after we requested.
"If we have more parties like that? I think I can adjust to New York." Jas said, typing at her phone with a hidden agenda it seemed like. She must've been texting the guy from the party.

"Girl, you might as well have had sex with him with the way y'all were bumping and grinding to upbeat music." Reign said, sipping at his Arnold Palmer with a smile at his features. Yes, we're still talking about him. "I saw a fine, fine, fine ass boy. He's way out of my league." Reign said, shrugging his shoulders as the waitress returned with some of our meals. She was quick to spin and plate the rest of our table. For an hour or two, we just sat and talked about our hopes for Manhattan. I still hadn't managed to bring up to them the fact that I was trying to get Mom's case re-opened, maybe tomorrow after class.

I actually enjoyed myself, come to think about it. The party was good, the alcohol was good but the hosting could've been better. Why shove drinks down our throats with no food to hold them? "Where is the waitress?" Reign asked, looking around the packed Waffle House with irritation on his face. We all turned to look, but it was me who caught her. She had been bent over a booth near the kitchen area, twirling her gum as she laughed. The man that she was talking to? Dear lord, I had never seen anyone like that. He was fine, like stupid fine and super chocolate. His teeth were nice, pearly whites as he talked to the waitress. Something she said caused him to lick his lip and bite it, teeth capturing it smoothly. Whew, heaven almighty.

Reign stood from the booth, Jas' heels scraping across the floor to let him out. Oh no. I knew how my brother could get about customer service, so I immediately followed after him to put fire on the chaos he was about to cause. "Excuse me? We've been trying to get a check from you for the past 30 minutes, but you're playing Waffle House escort. Can you do your damn job and get our fucking check, dollar store Barbie?" Reign asked, the niggas at the table laughing and covering their mouths. The entire Waffle House got quiet, stifled laughter across the booths.

"Dollar store Barbie? Waffle House escort? Listen here fag, you reek of new blood. You take your ticket to the counter and pay for it, idiot." Her clapback was weak as fuck, but the niggas at the table gassed her with laughter. It's been a minute since I've had to come out my body to defend my brother and his sexuality and I hated that tonight would be one of them.

"Listen, I don't know who you're calling a fag but he's right. Your job, the one that pays you $2.15 an hour, is to make sure your customers are good. You're pretty and all but you don't have to use your face and dumb brain to get extra tips from niggas who are finessing free food out of you. The next time you call my brother a fag? I'll stomp you the fuck out," this time, Waffle House remained silent. "Understood? That's great. If you wouldn't mind getting us refill on all of our drinks. Thank you. Come on, Reign." I said, grabbing his arm and pulling him away. The entire way to our seats, it was quiet. Jas stood and bounced on her feet, hyping me up. I really hated to do that, but no one calls him that.

Reign remained silent, even when the lady brought us our refills. Between him being ashamed for being gay and her being ashamed for being dragged, I just wanted the night to be over. "You guys go the car. I'll pay." I said, watching them do as requested. In the process of standing in line to pay for the meal, the eye candy had managed to approach me. There was a simple tap on my shoulder to get my attention, causing me to turn around. He was much taller than me, even in my heels. He is too damn fine for his own good and he knows it.