(vi) nobody else.

4:00 PM: MAYA.

sj: we leaving people on read now? 🥱

        I was in the middle of being an overachiever, trying to get some of the readings for the future semester out of the way when my cellphone vibrated on my desk. I was hesitant to look at it, knowing that if I picked it up I wouldn't put it down. I removed the vintage like headphones from my head, sliding them off to place them on the table. The living room TV had been booming louder than usual. The weather had changed from sunny to a small thunderstorm in a matter of hours, but that wasn't the point. SJ had texted me, double texted.
        The facial ID had unlocked the phone, revealing the message and I could do nothing but sit and look at it. What was I supposed to say? I was already in trouble with him. I had already slacked so hard to the point of no return, leaving people on read and shit. I grabbed the cellphone, unlocking and hovering over the message visually as I walked to the living room. Reign and Jas could be seen in the living room, two large glasses of red wine with some common LMN drama.

        "He texted me and I accidentally left him on read. What do I do now?" I asked, turning the phone to Jas' view. She squinted her eyes in attempt to read the message before tossing a hand full of popcorn into her mouth.
        "You should leave him on read again. Make him chase you and not the other way around." She said, swirling her wine glass before taking a sip and refocusing her attention back to the movie ahead. Reign shook his hand, chewing the last bit of his popcorn before he shook his head in disagreement.
        "It is way too early to determine whose gonna be chasing who, establish a foundation first and let him know that he could take you serious." Reign said, closing his eyes and opening his hand in request for the phone. I handed it over with ease, watching his thumbs type away. When the phone was returned to me, I realized I should've never handed it to him in the first place.

me: homework > boys.

        "Reign, that's so rude!" I said, watching him lower his head with an expression that said, 'really bitch'? "But so true. I hope he isn't mad at me." I closed the phone, closing my eyes shortly after before chuckling to myself. I hadn't felt this nervous and cautious with a boy since my Mom had given me the birds and bees talk about a guy I liked back in grade school. The phone vibrated within my hands, snatching me from the short flashback.

sj 😅: homework on the first day of school? lying doesn't fit you. what you doing later?

        Hell, what was I doing later besides sitting in my room and sketching in my notebook? No, no. I couldn't give him the opportunity to take me out or anything. Who even said he wanted to take me out?

sj 😅: okay, typing dots. drop your location and be ready by 9 pm.

         Maybe the sketchbook could wait later?

8:45 PM: MAYA.

        "As long as you're cool, everything will be as smooth as butter. Nothing will have to be forced and the vibe will be as real as it can be," Jas said, legs crossed on my circular bed with a smile at her face. I had informed Reign and Jas that I'd be going out tonight with SJ and they were more excited than I was. We went through several outfit changes and looks in the span of a couple hours, but my vote won over them. I would wear something cozy and appropriate for the rainy, yet cold weather. Nothing that gave him the wrong idea about who I was.

        "I think it's very cute, it hugs your body in the right places, but it's weather appropriate

        "I think it's very cute, it hugs your body in the right places, but it's weather appropriate." Reign said, running his fingers through my silk pressed hair. It was Jas' idea and hopefully, this would last me through the night into a couple of weeks. Probably not, said 4C.
        "Thank you, baby brother. I appreciate it." I said, twisting my head from side to side which gained me a couple of laughs. My face had a very, very light beat. I didn't want to do too much, but too little at the same time. I'd grab the small leather backpack that Jas lended me, tossing my old CD player and some other feminine like things before my phone rang.
        I grabbed the phone from my backpack, watching SJ's contact picture pop-up as the phone rang. I answered it after a couple rings, turning to Reign and Jas to blow them goodbye kisses.
        "Do I need to come in and speak to the parents to get you out? I can if you need me to." He said through the phone, I could tell he had been smiling.
        "That's not needed. I'm heading towards the elevator. Where are you parked?" I asked in advance, pressing the button down to the first floor of the building. The call dropped as soon as he spoke, the nerves in my stomach bubbling like meth cooking on a hot spoon. I reached the lobby, stepping out and calling him once more. My free arm hugged my body, a small breeze of wind causing my jaw to shake. "Hey, Sorry. The call dropped. You're where?"
        "Turn around." He said, the line hanging up shortly after. I sucked in a sharp breath, focusing my eyes on a brand new matte black Chrysler. He was leaned against it, waving his hand to grab my attention. I can't tell you what it was, or what it wasn't that caused the cool night air to suddenly become hot. He looked so handsome, white sparking teeth shining as he smiled. Nervously, I stepped towards him with my arms tucked wrapped around my body. "You cold?" He asked when I approached, engulfing me in a hug.
        I could smell his cologne, eyes closing in immediate comfort and warmth as we exchanged the very. . . long lasted gesture. I stepped back from him with the shake of my head. "No, it's alright." I confirmed with him. He moved to the side, reaching to open the passenger door in his gentleman like ways. I removed the backpack before slipping in, praying very quickly to God.

Just let this go right.