Six

Wentworth, Berkshire

Clara regarded the grand Palladian mansion in the distance as her carriage moved steadily along the tree-lined drive. Wentworth was impressive indeed. It was still hard to fathom that the perpetually foxed Mr Crowe she had been acquainted with years before, was now sober, married and an Earl! How the mighty fall, she thought with a grin. Crowe had been the last man she had ever expected to thrive amongst the comforts of domesticity and responsibility.

As the carriage began to slow, Clara's heart started a frenetic beat as nerves and anticipation swirled within her. It had been several months since she had made the heart-wrenching decision to send Violet to stay with her aunt. Violet's weekly letters had arrived as promised, and she had sensed a growing confusion in her child. At almost six years old, she was a confident and precocious little girl with an open and curious nature. Yet, the most recent of her childlike communications had revealed a decided change in tone. She no longer asked when she would come home. Her usually colourful descriptions of the fun she was having with her new cousins, had become less animated and more rout. Clara had considered this change a lessening of her reliance and regard for her mother, as her new family steadily filled the empty place in her young heart. The thought had pained her even as she realised it was what she had expected. However, the note that she had received from Lady Frogmore had hinted at some concern, and now she began to wonder if the enforced separation was leading to consequences more severe than Violet's low spirits and perfunctory letters.

Stepping down onto the gravelled driveway, Clara was welcomed by Lady Frogmore and Louisa Downing. It was a novel experience indeed to be embraced and greeted so warmly by members of polite society to whom she was generally regarded as a pariah. For once, her returning smile was not false, and her eyes misted at the kindness so long absent in her life.

"I was so happy to receive your invitation," Clara spoke earnestly. "It is a pleasure to be here."

Louisa, linking her arm with Clara's, drew her up the sweeping steps to the front entrance. A kindly-looking butler waited at the door to admit them, and as they moved inside, Clara heard a sound that stopped her in her tracks. An excited voice grew louder until its owner became visible at the top of the staircase. Clara gasped as emotions, clogged her throat and stole her breath.

"Aunt Esther ... look! It's Mama!" Violet raced down the flight of stairs and straight into her mother's embrace.

"Gracious, Violet, let your poor Mama have some air." Laughed Esther, descending the stairs at a more dignified pace. "Clara. I'm glad you were able to join us. There is much catching up to do."

She was given a short while to freshen up after her journey, and she used the time to compose herself after the emotional reunion with her daughter. Once Violet was assured that her Mama was indeed staying, she had run off to join her young cousins. Clara was overwhelmed both by the kindness of her hosts, and the apparent willingness of Esther to put their differences to one side. She was also pleased and relieved that her hosts had not commented upon the inordinate amount of luggage that had accompanied her for what was, in fact, only a week's stay. Clara still had no idea where she would be going at the end of this trip, but that was a worry for another day.

A short time later, a knock sounded at the door of Clara's chamber. Opening the door, she was unsurprised to find Esther waiting to be admitted.

"I hope you don't find my seeking you out intrusive," began Esther. "I hoped you would accept Rose's invitation. I thought it necessary for us to speak in person so that I may gauge how best to proceed." Although not smiling, Esther's face displayed a kindness that Clara had not expected.

Clara motioned to the arrangement of chairs set before the fireplace. "I will own that it is a delicate situation, My Lady, I appreciate everything you have done for my child."

Esther studied her carefully. "Esther, please. Before we proceed, I must ask you what plans you have for the future." Looking around the room and noting the vast amounts of trunks, valises and hat boxes, Esther turned her gaze back upon Clara; a question clearly hanging in the air.

"I have recently decided that a simpler life is more to my taste," Clara replied warily. "My life amongst the demimonde has reached a natural conclusion. I am not yet sure what my plans entail, but I shall not be returning to London."

Esther nodded slowly. "Have you made this decision with Violet in mind, or is this purely for your own sake?"

Clara almost laughed. Esther was still as forthright as she had ever been; always one to get straight to the heart of the matter. "My decision was expeditious, and I have yet to formulate any plans, but I hope, in future, to live a life that will no longer bring shame upon my daughter."

"It is as I thought." Said Esther quietly. "I'm glad. You once told me that you were never my enemy. I was so blinded by rage and betrayal, that I did not appreciate the truth in your words. I would like you to know that, despite what occurred in our past, I am no enemy to you either."

Clara was surprised by Esther's candour. She had hurt Esther, immeasurably so. They had both loved the same man and had both lost him regardless. Clara had acted shamelessly, and although the deception she had perpetrated with Edward as her accomplice, was unforgivable, she had never planned her actions to cause real pain. It had mostly been about survival, and her aunt's potential inheritance had been a temptation that she had been unable to resist. Esther's relationship with Edward had been a revelation and a concern. Clara knew full well that it was based on manipulation on Edwards part and dependence on Esther's. He was a cad to have abused Esther so, and she, having suffered at the hands of men all her life, should have realised it sooner.

Esther stood then. "I hope we have cleared the air between us. We have other matters to discuss, but they can wait until the festivities are over." She smiled briefly. "I would like you to know that having Violet stay with us has been a joy. She loves you very much, you know, and misses you greatly." Turning, she made her way from the room.

Clara watched her go and the knot that had formed in her chest finally released. If Esther could move forward with forgiveness, perhaps she would one day be ready to forgive herself.