Nineteen

Awkward reunions aside, very little progress seemed to be made in their attempt to discover the final plans of the reformists. Edward was growing frustrated and went in search of Carlisle. He found him in the library. Richmond House was a misnomer. The property was more palace than house, and the library was equally as expansive. Along the far end of the opulent room, a set of floor to ceiling windows overlooked the same parterre garden as the terrace further along this wing of the house. There, Carlisle stood vigil, staring out into the sparsely lit grounds.

"I've seen some of the men were looking for," Carlisle spoke as Edward moved to join him. "Denning and Jenkins arrived a short while ago with another man. They are setting up some sort of display." He pointed to the far end of the formal garden where several wooden crates could vaguely be seen. "I've sent two of our men to circle around and get closer. They will signal when they have news."

Edward pulled out his fob and checked the time: ten minutes before eleven o'clock. The fireworks were due to be set off at midnight. Still time then to stop anything untoward occurring. "Go and grab yourself a drink, I can watch for the signal. You need a break."

Carlisle nodded. "Watch for a flash of light from the tree line. I'll be five minutes. Don't do anything until I return."

Edward had been keeping watch for only a few minutes when he spotted a shadowy figure making its way across the gardens towards the house. It was too dark, even with torches lit at intervals, to ascertain with any certainty, what the shadowy figure was about. Just then, a flash of light caught his eye from beyond the trees. Once, twice, three times.

Gads. He thought, what the devil was he to do? Three flashes ... did that have more significance than a single one? The fellow who had crept across the gardens was making his way back now. Had he placed an explosive or was he just reconnoitring? He needed to alert someone. Just as he turned to leave his post, the door opened, and Carlisle strode back into the library.

"Thank the gods!" Edward exclaimed. "You leave for five minutes after hours of nothing, and I'm left with flashing lights and night-time prowlers." He explained quickly what he had seen and awaited Carlisle's instruction.

"Right. Three lights signify there is important information to relay. I must go and meet the men immediately." Carlisle explained urgently as he rushed back towards the hallway. "As for the prowler? It could be nothing but go and scout the area and see if you can find anything. If you see Hargreaves or Ellis, send them to the kitchen garden. That's where I will be meeting with our men. Whatever it is, they need to hear it."

At a pace far less dignified than a walk, Edward skirted the dimly lit corridors until he reached the far end of the ballroom, closest to the terrace. He had crossed paths with no one and had to decide which was the more pressing; checking for possible dangers outside or searching out Hargreaves and Ellis and warning them. Edward chose the latter and scanned the crowds of people for sight of either man. He finally spotted Hargreaves, once more with Babington, and made his way with haste, apologising as he pushed his way through the crowd. Stopping before them, he noticed their comfortable camaraderie. These two were old friends. The thought gave him pause, except the time, was not appropriate to consider the implications of that relationship.

"Hargreaves. A word?" He spoke urgently.

Hargreaves turned and regarded the seriousness on Denham's face. "What's happened?" He asked, frowning. Denham then proceeded to inform him, sotto voce, of the signal and Carlisle's request to rendezvous. He went on to add that he would search the terrace for any clues relating to the unknown figure who approached the house from the garden.

"Jack? Can I be of assistance?" Asked Babington who was still stood close by.

Hargreaves turned back, all the while scanning the crowd for allies. They were all occupied, it seemed. The majority of the men were prowling the perimeter of the property, and for the moment we're out of sight. "Actually, perhaps you can aid Denham in a small matter?"