Eight

Wentworth, Berkshire

The last few days had been a delightful respite from Clara's woes. Spending time with Violet had been a joy she would cherish. Before her eyes, her daughter once more flourished and became the spirited and happy child she remembered. Brushing away the worries she had arrived with, she was gladdened to find no obvious signs of distress. Esther had proven herself to be a kind and compassionate mother to her own children and this appeared to naturally extend to her niece.

Their party had increased to include some other familiar faces. Mr Sidney Parker and his wife, Charlotte, had joined the festivities and, once again, Clara was astonished by the lack of reproach or condemnation for past misbehaviours. Charlotte had always been a sweet girl with an open heart and kindness of spirit that drew people to her like shelter on a stormy night. No longer a girl, Charlotte had nevertheless retained her kindness and warmth. Clara had once hoped they may become friends, but fate had intervened.

Mr Sidney Parker, the once taciturn and aloof man she had been acquainted with briefly in Sanditon, had surprised her greatly. Now, his countenance seemed as open as his wife's, and his smiles, so rarely seen in the past, were immediate and genuine. Love, she thought wistfully, had the power to soften the hardest of hearts.

Louisa and her sister, Rose, had been kind and welcoming, as had Crowe. She smiled to herself; recalling his reaction when addressed as 'My Lord', he had shuddered and insisted that, to his friends, he would always be Crowe. Lord Berwick, or Hargreaves, as he preferred to be known, was another who held no airs nor consequence. A startling contradiction to the lords and gentlemen she had encountered in London. Louisa had explained that she and her betrothed had had a somewhat unconventional start to their courtship. Having traversed some rocky ground, including two abandoned engagements, they had finally found their way back to each other and into a deep and abiding love. Three times a charm, Clara thought. Was she envious of her new friend's happiness? Perhaps a little part of her wished her life had taken a different path. There had only been one man to whom she would have consented to wed, and that ship had sailed long ago.

The wedding took place in the small chapel in the grounds of Wentworth. It was a beautiful and joyous ceremony; perfect in its simplicity. Louisa, radiant in a gown of the palest pink, glowed as she walked down the aisle towards her Marquess. There was much emotion in the voices of the bride and groom as they exchanged their vows. As the ceremony was concluded, only their small party and a few of Wentworth's servants were there to witness the groom sweep his bride off of her feet and kiss her senseless. Much to the general amusement of all.

The wedding breakfast took place in the main house and once concluded, the bride and groom departed for their wedding trip. Before leaving, Louisa explained that they planned to travel to London before heading north to the principal estate in Berwick-upon-Tweed for a few weeks. Returning south once more, in readiness for Rose's confinement. Clara wished them every happiness and promised to write.

Watching them go, Clara found herself unaccountably sad. The day was drawing near when she would need to leave this place, and her daughter, once more.

"Clara, are you well?" Esther spoke gently, Charlotte beside her.

"Why, yes. I always find weddings emotional. It was quite lovely." She replied with feigned brightness.

"Would you spare us a few moments of your time? Babington is waiting for us in Crowe's study." Esther took her arm and steered her from the drawing room.

Confused, Clara did as she was bid but felt a growing unease. Perhaps, now the bride had departed, the hospitality offered would cease too.

As they walked along a quiet corridor, they found the door to the study open. Clara looked around the room as they entered. It was decorated in deep reds and bore the stamp of generations of Frogmore men, she surmised. Babington and Sidney Parker stood as they entered and ushered them forward to sit.

"Clara. I hope you are well?" Babington began. "There is no need for you to look so worried, m'dear. Nothing is wrong."

Clara felt some of the tension release from her posture. "I'm glad to hear it. What can I do for you, My Lord?"

"Well, you see, shortly after you arrived, Esther brought to our attention the predicament you find yourself in." Babington looked at his wife, who smiled in encouragement.

Clara caught the eye of Charlotte and then Esther and tried to decipher their expressions. Not pity exactly, more concern. She turned back to Babington and replied, "I see."

"Please don't be alarmed. Between us, we believe we may be able to offer a solution to your problems." Babington smiled, "As you will be aware, Sir Edward Denham left these shores several years ago, and his return is as yet uncertain. In the meantime, Denham Place has been empty and allowed to fall into disrepair."

Clara, shocked, could only stare as the outline of their solution became apparent. "Denham Place?" she stammered. Her eyes shot once more to Esther's in alarm. Denham Place meant returning to Sanditon. Impossible.

Esther, sensing her unease, continued. "My brother, as you know, inherited a title and a shell of a once-grand house. Without the funds to see to its upkeep, the place became almost uninhabitable. Since his exile to the continent, the responsibility for the property fell to our family. Our Aunt point blank refuses to lay out a single penny for its restoration and so, by default, Babington and I have been trying to see to its upkeep. However, we have a growing family and our own estates to manage. We were about to seek a tenant for the property, but when you and I spoke, I realised that the key to two of our concerns could be met with one simple solution. You."

Clara shook herself mentally, "You would have me as a tenant for Denham Place even after everything that has gone before us? And what of my aunt? Surely she would raise strenuous objections to my residing there?"

"Leave aunt to me, Clara. The old dragon has mellowed with the years and will be made to see reason. I won't promise that you'll receive an invitation to afternoon tea, but I will ensure that she gives you no trouble." Esther spoke resolutely.

"I have very little funds. How am I to pay the lease on the property?" Clara pleaded.

"That's the rub." Babington interjected, "The offer is not without conditions. In exchange for your residence there, we will need you to manage the renovations on our behalf." He smiled kindly, "Think of yourself as being more a kind of caretaker than a tenant if it is easier to reconcile. You have managed a household before, I assume?" At her nod, Babington continued. "Esther believes that you are well equipped to take on these responsibilities. There is a small staff retained at Denham who will be able to assist. What do you say?"

"May I add?" Sidney spoke for the first time. "Charlotte and I too have spoken and wish you to know that, should you return to Sanditon, you will not be alone. You have friends there who are willing to aid you. A difficult or scandalous past should not predetermine your future. You will receive no judgment, only friendship from us, should you choose to accept it."

Clara was alarmed to find her eyes stinging with moisture. She who was too pragmatic to weep over misfortune found that kindness was her Achilles heel. She took a deep breath. "You mentioned two concerns?"

Esther nodded. "These past few months have been a joy. Getting to know my niece has been a gift that I never expected to receive. However, as the duration of Violet's stay lengthened, we saw a change in her. The happy girl who had come to stay began to vanish before our eyes, replaced by confusion and despondency. When we were finally able to get to the bottom of her troubles, the answer was simple; she missed her mother and didn't understand why you had sent her away. We were deeply worried, and I almost wrote to you several times to express my concerns. We thought perhaps a little time would restore her spirits, but nothing worked. So, when Rose mentioned to me that Louisa had hoped to invite you to her wedding, I grasped the chance to see what could be done." Esther smiled gently and handed Clara a handkerchief to wipe away the tears that she hadn't realised had fallen. "When she saw you again, it was as if someone had opened the curtains in a darkened room. Light returned to her eyes, and her world was righted once more. If you agree to our offer, we would very much like you to make a home for yourself and Violet there. Together."