Twelve

Denham Place, Sanditon

Clara smiled triumphantly at the sight before her. A week had passed since her arrival at Denham Place, and finally, she believed she was making progress. Each room had been inspected and notes made on repairs, mouldy old drapes had been taken down, fireplaces cleaned, and carpets beaten. The worst of the problems were found on the uppermost floor, due largely to the decaying roof timbers. Leaks had sprung in almost every corner of the servant's quarters, which had long since been abandoned in favour of disused guest chambers. One particular leak had penetrated beyond the top level to the floor below, causing considerable problems.

True to her word, Mrs Price had been nothing but kind to Clara and had taken a particular shine to Violet, who was once more her vivacious and curious self. No gossip had reached their ears, and for that, Clara was quietly relieved. Esther had left her on the first day to visit Lady Denham before travelling back to Beecham Court, where she, Babington and their offspring were to make preparations for their trip to London and the start of the little season.

Charlotte Parker was a frequent visitor, as was her sister-in-law Mary, who was the epitome of kindness. The Parker children, along with Violet, had played for hours and seemed set to be the best of friends. Clara smiled to herself, how happy she and her daughter were in this place filled with unexpected friendship and quiet contentment.

Taking a final look around the bedchamber she had been cleaning with the help of one of the maids, she felt a welcome sense of accomplishment. It had been some time since she had been required to perform manual duties such as these, but she found that restoring Denham Place gave her purpose and was oddly cathartic.

"Martha, we've done a fine job here. Shall we take a break and share a pot of tea with Mrs Price?" Clara smiled at the young, sweet-faced girl.

"Right you are Miss, a cuppa would be grand." Bobbing a shallow curtsey, Martha wasted no time exiting the room, heading for the back staircase.

Clara sighed, her body weary, and followed. Upon reaching the kitchen, she found Mrs Price had anticipated their needs and a pot of tea awaited them, along with a plate of freshly baked scones that tempted the senses with their buttery-sweet fragrance. Violet was sat at the large wooden table covered in flour and jam and had never looked happier.

As Clara and Martha enjoyed the refreshment, Mrs Price declared that a letter had arrived addressed to Clara from London. Immediately alert, Clara reached for the note and sighed with relief as she noted the Berwick seal. Tearing the letter open, she was surprised to see that the note had not been penned by Louisa, but rather, her husband.

Miss Brereton

I trust you are settled into your new abode and that both you and your daughter find yourselves in possession of good health.

After discussing the matter with Babington, it has been brought to my attention that Denham Place is in considerable disrepair. As the property is being managed on behalf of Sir Edward Denham, who is currently in my employ, I have instructed my man of business to set up the relevant accounts to ensure that the necessary works can be completed without delay. Please forward all necessary bills for the attention of C. Ellis Esq care of this address and please be assured that all funds will be dealt with promptly.

Your Servant

Hargreaves

Marquess of Berwick etc.

Clara read the letter before folding it and placing it in her skirt pocket. Curious. Clara had assumed that the repairs to Denham would be made by Babington; he'd certainly implied it when they spoke. How was Hargreaves acquainted with Edward; the two had never met as far as she was aware. Yet, Hargreaves had also mentioned employment. What possible occupation could link the two men? And what of Edward? Was he still on the continent? As far as she knew, no one but her had been privy to his whereabouts. She shook herself mentally, as questions swirled around her mind. Unable to make sense of the situation, Clara decided to think of it no more. Funds were assured for the more costly repairs, and that would be her focus.