Eighteen

Richmond House, on the banks of the Thames

"Lord Liverpool," The speaker announced, followed shortly after by "Lord Babington and Lady Babington."

Esther would never get used to these ton events. The pomp and ceremony were ridiculous in the extreme. Having arrived in London a few days ago, they had been besieged with invitations to political dinners and soirées. There was something different in the air this season; she could feel it. Being a political hostess was never an ambition of hers, but as Babington got more and more drawn into the workings of The Lords, she could do nowt but support his endeavours.

According to her husband, Earl Liverpool, their esteemed and Right Honourable Prime Minister, was an age-old friend of his late fathers. Never an opportunity went by that Liverpool didn't try to tempt her husband away from the Whigs. Esther smiled to herself, Babington had too much of a social conscience to become a Tory. The bills he supported in the House were humanitarian in nature, and he was an advocate for the repeal of the corn laws and judicial reform. Nevertheless, Liverpool was a popular Prime Minister and a man that commanded the universal respect from both sides of the house.

As they made their way into the ballroom, a familiar face came into view. Hargreaves, or more formally, the Marquess of Berwick, broke from a group of gentlemen to greet them. Liverpool bowed his retreat and moved away with a frown just as their Hargreaves joined them.

"Jack, my friend. Well met." Babington shook his hand with a grin, looking around, he added, "Is Louisa not with you?"

"Lady Babington, Babington. Good evening." Hargreaves greeted them distractedly, whilst watching the Prime Minister's retreating back. He appeared to shake himself from his thoughts and remembered his manners. "Ah, apologies. Louisa is not in attendance this evening, though she is well."

"Oh, that is a shame. I had hoped to see her. I must pay her a call now that we are in town." Esther regarded him carefully, "I can see that the two of you have matters to discuss. I shall join the ladies and will expect you again, Babington, when the dancing commences." With a curious final glance, she turned and was soon swallowed by the crowd.

Babington smiled broadly, "So, how goes married life, my friend? I must say, it's a surprise to see you out and about alone. You two have been joined at the hip for weeks." He added with a smirk.

Hargreaves smiled. "I have not one complaint regarding my marriage or my wife, thank you Babbers, I find being leg-shackled exceedingly pleasing. It is my other responsibilities that give me concern this evening."

"Ah, yes. I did not fail to note Liverpool's hasty retreat. You and he are at loggerheads, I assume?" Babington asked, no longer smiling.

Hargreaves gave an exasperated sigh. "The bloody man refuses to listen. His very presence here tonight shows me how little he regards the threats to his office. Now he's here, he makes our lives all the more difficult."

Babington frowned. "Has this something to do with the other business?"

Hargreaves nodded slowly and spoke quietly, "You have chosen a poor night to start the season. Take my advice; stay far away from the fireworks demonstration, better yet, leave before midnight and save yourself some anxiety. We expect trouble." He turned to leave but added, "I must also tell you; Denham is here tonight. He arrived from France a few days ago and is helping our efforts. You may wish to warn Esther, I would not wish to cause her distress." At Babington's acknowledgement, he added, "It would benefit him also, to know that you and your good lady are chief amongst those who would see him given this chance to right his wrongs."

"I'm not sure tonight is the time to reveal the extent of our support. We don't know how things are going to play out yet." Babington spoke quietly. Hargreaves inclined his head in tacit agreement and took his leave.

Babington too remained silent for a moment as he watched his old friend disappear through the throng of guests. Looking around, he spotted Esther conversing with some of the ton matrons. She looked across and caught his eye and winked. God love the woman. She loathed these events; full of artifice and pomposity. He hoped Esther was able to keep that poker face in place when he informed her of this turn of events.

Making his way across the room towards her, he caught sight of Hargreaves again. This time talking to a tall chap with wavy blond hair and patrician nose that he, Babington, would not soon forget. Time was of the essence.

He reached Esther's side, and she excused herself from the group of ladies. Taking her arm, he led her away towards one of the quieter antechambers set aside for guests to catch their breath and take respite away from the party. They seated themselves; Esther regarding him all the while with concern.

"Babington, what is it? What the devil did Hargreaves tell you to put you all in a dither?" Esther spoke, her eyes shrewdly questioning.

"Ah, yes, well." He began, "There is something I need to discuss with you, dear ..." Babington started, but before he could continue, a tall figure appeared in the doorway.

"I believe he was about to warn you of my resurrection, sister dear," Edward spoke softly.

Babington stood in alarm, whilst Esther sat motionless for a moment, before turning to regard him through narrowed eyes. "Edward Denham. You're a braver man that I gave you credit, for approaching me in a public space." She spoke precisely; enunciating every syllable.

"Quite so, sister. Brave or mad, there is little between the two." Edward smiled wryly. "However, I come in peace. I was informed of your attendance and wanted to assure you that I hold no ill will towards either you or your husband. Should you wish to eschew the connection, I will back away gracefully; however, there are events afoot this evening that I must see through to their conclusion, and I would like to ensure you are both out of harm's way and ask respectfully, that you keep out of mine."

Esther scrutinised her stepbrother. "There's something different about you, Edward. I'm glad of it. It gives me hope that you are on the road to redemption, after all." She stood and made her way to the doorway and stopped before him, "I will not interfere in your activities. I would like very much to give you the benefit of the doubt. There is more at stake here than reputations and recriminations. See that you don't squander the chance." She moved past him and reentered the crush of the ballroom.

Babington, who had followed at her heels, waited a moment longer to take his leave. "Denham, Esther wishes to give you a second chance and Hargreaves appears to trust you. That's good enough for me. But, should you ever hurt my wife again, I will feed you to my dogs, understood?"

Edward nodded and watched as he followed his wife into the crowd.