Twenty

Denham Place, Sanditon – three days later.

The roof was finally repaired, thanks to Mr Robinson and his team of skilled workers. The task of refurbishing the interior was well underway, and Clara, at last, felt like she could begin to slow down and enjoy her new home. The funds made available by Berwick had gone a long way towards making life more comfortable. A gardener had joined the staff to tackle the unruly outside space, and an additional maid had been employed to help with the cleaning.

Clara was now sure, with careful budgeting, that she would soon be able to employ a governess for Violet. The child was intelligent and had already begun to exhaust Clara's repertoire of suitable subjects. The Denham library was modest, but many of the books had suffered from damp and neglect. She hoped to visit the new circulating library in Sanditon soon but feared that even that would soon fall short of her daughters' thirst for knowledge.

Whilst pondering this dilemma, she failed to notice that two carriages had arrived at the entrance to Denham Place until Mrs Price had shown the visitors into the entrance hall and a familiar feminine voice sounded.

Clara jumped to her feet and hurried down the spiral staircase to greet Esther. Odd that she should visit so soon after removing to town for the Season. And why two carriages, who else had accompanied her? The answer became apparent as Clara rounded the final bend.

Stumbling to a halt, Clara regarded the sight before her. Esther was there, and Babington stood giving instructions to Mrs Price, while footmen carried in a stretcher. Most shocking of all was the recognition that flooded her as she stared at the face of the unconscious man lying motionless. That face was indelibly etched upon Clara's heart and mind. Edward.

More calmly than she felt, she made her way down the final few steps. She searched Esther's face, pale and drawn and with a squeeze of her hand and a subdued smile for the uncharacteristically sombre Babington, she moved past them to the stretcher and its frighteningly still burden.

"Oh, my dear man. What mischief have you been up to now?" She whispered, gently stroking his matted hair from his brow. Conscious of eyes upon her; Clara motioned for the footmen to proceed. As they carefully manoeuvred the stretcher, a million questions and emotions flooded her. Eventually turning back to a silent Esther and Babington, she motioned for them to follow her up to the drawing room, where she hoped some answers would be forthcoming.

Babington looked from his wife to Miss Brereton and wondered where to start. Hargreaves had relayed to him what had occurred after the fireworks display, but he had not been sure how much of the truth he could reveal, but Esther had worn down his resolve, and now Clara looked fit to burst if she did not receive an explanation in short order.

"It is my understanding that you, Miss Brereton, have been in contact with Sir Edward over the past few years and are aware of his residence in France?" Babington began.

Esther cast a surprised look at Clara, who held her gaze, "Edward and I have been in contact for several years. Not regularly, but enough to maintain a kind of friendship. He ensured, initially, that I would always know how to contact him in the event of ... consequences from our liaison. Although, by the time I finally did need him, he was unable to help." Clara smiled wryly, "He only agreed to stay in contact if I promised not to reveal his whereabouts to anyone. And so, I never mentioned our correspondence. I apologise if I have misled you."

"Despite his past and his many nefarious deeds, I am glad he had a friend," Esther added; her shrewd gaze alerting Clara that the matter was not forgotten, and further explanation would be required at a later date.

"Yes well, since you last communicated with him, Miss Brereton, Edward has been undertaking a kind of commission – or employment – on behalf of the Crown. His cooperation helped to secure his passage back to England, but the mission that he was involved with experienced some unexpected difficulties. As a consequence, and after acquitting himself bravely, he suffered serious injuries and has since contracted a fever that has rendered him insensible." Babington explained sombrely. "He has regained consciousness once or twice, but the only request he has managed to articulate was his wish to return home."