Chapter 7

"Morning!"

Jinyoung had set only a step into the classroom when Mark greeted him with a smile from his seat. He returned the smile, but briskly turned away and headed straight for his desk. Mark's friends were not in sight but there were other classmates inside. He had resolved to avoid doing anything that would give anyone the wrong idea about him and Mark.

Mark was, indeed, left puzzled. Just after sitting down, Jinyoung saw Mark coming to him. The sight did make him feel flattered; he could hear what Wonpil had said - that Mark really cared for him.

A hint of confusion remained in Mark's eyes but yet he said cheerfully, "Morning, Jinyoung. How was your weekend?"

"I had a good rest," Jinyoung said, dropping his gaze immediately afterwards. It was such a mixed feeling he had. He wanted Mark to keep talking to him while knowing Mark should not.

"Great," Mark said, sounding uncertain. "Yeah, me too." He cleared his throat a little, as if finding this exchange awkward. Especially when the one he was talking to, did not even look at him.

"I-"

"Is-"

They started at the same time and after a brief eye-contact, both burst out laughing. When some eyes turned to them, Jinyoung stopped abruptly and turned grave in a moment.

"I... I think you should go."

"Is that what you were about to say? I was just gonna ask you if something's wrong. You don't quite look - how should I phrase this - like your usual self?"

"No," Jinyoung searched for words and muttered quietly, "I think you shouldn't talk to me." The moment the words left his mouth, he regretted saying them.

Just as he feared, Mark seemed to have misunderstood him because he said, "I'm sorry if I disturbed you. I thought - well, never mind. The point taken."

"No!" Jinyoung said in haste as Mark was about to leave, "I didn't mean it like that. I'm just nothing. I don't know if I deserve your attention. Besides, your friends don't want you to associate with me. If you don't, I don't mind. Actually, it's better for you-"

Mark held up a hand to stop him. "I've had enough of that. You're wrong, Jinyoung, if you think I care what anyone says about me or what I do. So if it's your concern, you don't need to worry about that. I only do what I believe."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to disrespect you," Jinyoung said, subdued.

"Don't feel sorry. I know you meant well," Mark smiled, "So are we good?" He held out his hand in a fist for a fist bump but when Jinyoung looked up at him puzzled, Mark just laughed and patted Jinyoung's shoulder, before leaving for his seat.

The wind that blew that day was quite chilly and rubbing his hands for warmth. Jinyoung quickened his walk. At the moment, all he could imagine was his cozy bed in the room. It was likely he would spend this afternoon, lazing in bed.

He heard footsteps chose behind him and another moment, he saw Mark beside him, trying to keep up with him. "Are you in a hurry?"

Realising that he had been walking too fast, Jinyoung slowed down for Mark. "N-No. I'm only going back to the dorm," he looked around, noticing that the car park had already been passed by.

"My car's at the repair shop," Mark said, sensing Jinyoung's question, "I'll have to take a bus today. Umm, do you mind if I visit your dorm? I've been wanting to. Is today okay? Maybe some other day?"

"Do you really want to?" Jinyoung asked, his mood suddenly lightened. When Mark nodded, Jinyoung's smile widened. "I don't mind."

"Let's go then."

Wonpil was not there when they got to Jinyoung's room. To Jinyoung's relief, Wonpil had not left any boxer shorts or towels scattered on the floor. Mark looked fascinated by everything he saw, saying more than once that he wanted to know what it felt like to live in the dorm.

"Is this your side?"

The two beds were against the left wall and the right one, with two small desks beside the beds and a wardrobe at the foot of each bed.

Jinyoung's things were on the left side and Mark had easily guessed that. "The bed looks so inviting," Mark said, "Can I?"

Jinyoung willingly agreed and his stomach stirred at the sight of Mark comfortably sitting on his bed. Though he stood in the middle of the room quite awkwardly.

Mark looked around and his eyes fell on two photos in frames placed erect on the desk. The first one he picked up was Jinyoung's highschool graduation photo with his grandparents on his sides.

"Your grandparents?" Mark asked, his hand softly running over the photo. "They look kind and generous. This was when you graduated from highschool? You've this genuine smile I like."

Jinyoung blushed, without being noticed, "T-Thank you. I thought I looked awkward."

"You looked great," Mark said, turning to look at Jinyoung as if to fully convince him. He put the photo back on the desk with care and took the other one.

It was photo of a child clinging to the legs of a man who had his hand around the boy's shoulder and was in an elegant uniform. The man had long hair tied and laid on the neck and his other hand held a cap against his wrist.

"It's my father and me," Jinyoung said, "I was only seven years old back then."

"I guessed so. You look like him. He was...?" Mark said, uncertainly.

"A navigation officer. He was... killed in a shipwreck when I was just twelve," Jinyoung said, finding that twelve-year old boy's pain was still freshly alive in his seemingly mature heart.

"I'm sorry to hear this. And your mother?"

"She wasn't so fortunate in her childbirth. When she was giving birth to me," Jinyoung said, "Sometimes, I wonder if I was worth her sacrifice or her life."

"Why would you think that? I'm sure your mother didn't regret at all. If she knew how well you've grown up with only the grandparents' care, she would be so proud of you," Mark comforted him. Then he looked at the photo again and stared at it, before saying, "Now I see why you keep your hair long."

"He was like a hero to me. Everything he had or had been, I wanted to. I used to say to him that I'd be a navigation officer like him when I grew up."

"Why don't you?" Mark asked, interested.

"My grandparents didn't allow me. They don't want to lose me like they did my father. I don't want to worry them, either."

Mark nodded understandingly and placed the photo back on the desk. "Do you want to go somewhere this weekend?" The sudden change of subject startled Jinyoung. "I want to take you out. Somewhere. Hm, somewhere you've never been to."

Jinyoung could not believe he was getting such an offer. "There're many places I haven't been to. But I don't think you need to-"

"What about an amusement park? Are you up for it?"

"Ah, yes," Jinyoung said, shyly rubbing his neck under the hair. He was both nervous and excited.

"Okay! Ths Saturday. You've no other plans that day?" Mark asked.

"No, no, I don't have."

"Good," Mark said, standing up, "I'll come pick you up here."

"Are you leaving?"

"I guess. You've been standing there since we came in. You must really want to rest now," Mark said, his tone light with humour. "See you tomorrow."

Jinyoung saw Mark to the door and once the door had been closed, he moved around in a victory dance. Before throwing himself onto the bed, hugging himself with a triumphant laugh.