Chapter 18

Mark's restless figure rose from his seat at the sight of Jinyoung entering the classroom. But the hard expression on Jinyoung's face rendered him reluctant and he could do nothing but look at Jinyoung passing by him. But he knew he had to do something and when Jinyoung was already seated, he dashed to him.

"Jinyoung."

Jinyoung looked up before looking away. This kind of attention he was getting from Mark would have been a triumph for the past Jinyoung. It did not mean the present self of him did not feel anything. But it was nothing close to triumph.

"What am I supposed to do? For a mistake I made, which I don't have any idea of, you're ignoring me," Mark said, "What am I do then? Tell me. This silence is driving me insane. Jinyoung, won't you talk to me anymore? So just like that, there's no more friendship between us?"

Jinyoung clenched his fist tight, to control his emotions. He wanted to scream. Scream at Mark to leave him alone. Scream to relieve his suffocation that was growing with Mark's every word. What did Mark expect? Was it not enough that he had broken his heart once?

Jinyoung wished he could let out a laugh full of mockery. He wished he could do anything that would make Mark hate him and never ever come and confuse him anymore.

Enough. Enough. Leave me alone. But those words were only swirling in his head and never got past his lips.

"Do you have nothing more to say to me?" Mark tried again. "I'm sorry. I don't know what else to say. I don't know what you want to hear me say."

Silence fell, Jinyoung determined to stay passive and Mark still hopefully waiting for him to say something.

But then the girl from yesterday popped up and was eying the empty seat next to Jinyoung's nervously. "J-Jinyoung, can I sit here?" Her sudden presence earned a hiss from Mark but she either did not care or barely heard it.

Jinyoung gave her a nod and she sat down happily. He knew if he turned to talk to her, Mark would go away. But he chose to look out the window, away from both of them. The lecturer came in soon and Mark finally went back to his seat.

"Are you in conflict with him? Is he bothering you?" Eunju asked Jinyoung in a whisper, once Mark was away. But the glare she received from Jinyoung shut her up at once.

"Don't ever talk about him," Jinyoung said, "To me."

"I-I see. I won't anymore," she promised in a hurry.

At the lunch break, Jinyoung, who usually ate alone, had Eunju with him. Since he had been on the way to his usual restaurant, she was sticking to him. More than once, he had that strong desire to mock her; she, who had barely noticed him before, had no idea that he was not straight. But he did not want to drive her away yet.

A pair of eyes were watching them from afar but Jinyoung never knew that.

"Jinyoung, w-what do you think of me?"

The classes had already been over and Jinyoung and Eunju were walking away from their last class.

"What do you want me to think of you?" Jinyoung said, jeeringly.

But she was so excited she missed his tone and was on the verge of confessing to him. "Do-do you like me? Because I like you so much. Maybe, we can go out?"

"Mark, stop! He's not alone and I don't think he'll talk to you."

Jackson's voice that came from somewhere not far away, almost halted Jinyoung. It was the words that startled him.

"No, I still need the answer from him. We can't just go on like this day after day. Go ahead and don't wait for me."

"Hey! Mark!"

Jinyoung heard the hurried footsteps getting closer and closer. Without a second thought, he put a hand around Eunju's shoulder, to her both surprise and delight.

"Is... is this a 'yes'? Please tell me it is!"

"Do you need to ask? Hurry, I don't want any disturbance," Jinyoung said, his voice loud enough for Mark to hear.

"Yes! B-But where're we going?"

Jinyoung gave no answer and hastened themselves to the campus gate. But he did not need to because Mark's steps had already stopped moments ago.

Jaebum shook his head, watching the two disappeared figures. Both he and Jackson were now beside Mark, who could not utter any words.

"That's crazy. I never knew he was into girls too," Jackson remarked, breaking the silence.

"I don't think he's. There must be some reason," Jaebum said, musing and trying to connect the dots. "I'm sure he'll come around eventually, Mark. He won't stay mad at you for long."

Mark shook his head and abruptly left the place, his friends hurrying after him.