Chapter 22

"Here we're."

In front of the classroom, Jinyoung stopped just as Jae did. He turned to his boyfriend and smiled at him.

"See you later then," Jinyoung said. He could feel Jae's hand not letting go of his but tightening his hold instead. "You're gonna be late."

"Just a kiss and I'll go."

Jinyoung had already learned that Jae could be sweet when he wanted to. It was so easy to fall for hm. No wonder he had had so many relationships.

"You didn't need to ask."

They were in the corridor in front of the classroom. But so what? Jinyoung had long ceased to care about his image or what other people would think of him.

Willingly, he closed his eyes just as Jae's fingers ran through his hair, bringing their faces closer. He was not a celibate; even though he could not call the touch of their lips something so fantastic and that provoked so many sparks in him, he still enjoyed it. Jae was a good kisser anyway.

It was a brief kiss, given they had not much time. As it had come to an end, Jae looked over Jinyoung's shoulder, with a frown. Which caused Jinyoung to turn his head around.

Mark was a few yards away, behind them, frozen on the spot and his fists clenched tight. He was both incredulous and furious. Let him be then; Jinyoung turned back to Jae, showing he did not care. Then Mark stormed past them and into the classroom, making Jae's frown deepen.

"What's his problem? He isn't your ex, is he? He's giving off those vibes that he wants to kill me," Jae said, in annoyance.

"You should leave. I think it's already late."

"Okay. Let's eat together at the lunch break. I'll come," Jae said.

Jinyoung nodded and watched his boyfriend finally leaving. As soon as he walked into the classroom, Mark trailed after him, trying to have a moment to talk to him. But he got no chance as the lecturer arrived just then.

"Jesus, I'm still not used to seeing Jinyoung with Jae. Honestly, they look quite good together though," Jackson remarked, looking at the two going into the restaurant Jinyoung usually ate at.

"You do know he's a playboy, right?" Mark said, not understanding why Jackson had said such a senseless thing. He did not want anyone to acknowledge that Jinyoung and Jae were meant to be. Because they were not; and even if they were, he would not accept that. Because someone like Jae did not deserve Jinyoung. Had he cared about Jinyoung before? Had he protected Jinyoung? Like he, Mark, had? Mark refused to consider what that question was leading to.

"Yeah but it's not like no one can change," Jackson reasoned. "Who knows he might really fall for Jinyoung."

"That's impossible," Mark argued. "I know Jinyoung doesn't like him. No, he shouldn't like someone like that guy." Although he knew what Jackson had said could be true. He just wanted to believe it was not. He felt so conflicted and suffocated.

"So what kind of person are you hoping Jinyoung would like? You?" Jaebum asked lightly, before adding, "Just kidding. Relax! How're things going with Seoah?"

But the only thing Mark had heard was the first part. The words hit him hard. He remembered those days when he had made Jinyoung happy just by simply talking to him, when Jinyoung had told him about his family, which had been because of trust, Mark knew, sung for him, studied with him, taken him to his hometown... Hadn't he been able to make Jinyoung comfortable with him? Hadn't he been the one? The one who had made Jinyoung feel less terrible about himself?

After lunch, Mark had no desire to continue the classes. He sent a quick text to Seoah, asking if she was free. Instead of a reply, he got a call from her.

"What's the matter? Don't you have classes?"

"Are you free?" Mark asked, not bothering to answer her questions. "I'm on my way to your department. I'll tell you where I'll be." He hung up right afterwards, quickening his steps.

They met on the lawn not far away from her class. She was a bit angry because of his having hung up on her and given her no reason for why they had to be here.

"Why all of a sudden? I've classes," Seoah said, as soon as she was before him.

"It won't hurt you to skip one."

"Why then? Did you miss me so bad?" she said, her anger dissipating. "Are we just going to talk here?"

Mark was hesitant. He did not even know whether what he was doing was right or not. He only knew he wanted to. He would not survive this torture. Would Jinyoung ever look at him again the way he had before?

"Let's break up."

Seoah's eyes widened in incredulity and she was too shocked to say anything. Mark did not look at her; to see her hurt would make him guilty. He did not want anything that would make him waver.

"Are you saying for real? Did you come here to tell me that? Do I get to know why at least?" she asked, her voice laced with sarcasm.

"I thought I liked you. But I've just realised I don't," Mark said, not checking her reaction. "I guess we'll be better off. If you don't want to stay as friends, I understand. I'm sorry."

"So you've decided all of this on your own. Do you even care how I'm feeling right now?" She was shaking Mark's arm, demanding an answer. It was too much that he did not even look at her.

"I'm sorry. You'll find someone who isn't a jerk like me," Mark said, finally meeting her eyes. "Let's part our ways on good terms. Can we?"

"Why's it so easy for you? Is there someone you like?"

Mark removed her hand from his arm, "Let me leave now. Move on from me. That's all I want to ask." He did not wait for any response and walked away. For the first time in a while, he felt relieved, like something had been lifted off his shoulders.