Chapter 6

After breakfast at the dining hall downstairs, Jinyoung and Wonpil were back in their own beds again, ready for a lazy morning. Wonpil ranted about a group project in which he had had to do more work due to some irresponsible groupmates and continued to talk about all the bad and good things of the previous week.

And Jinyoung, who was used to confiding to Wonpil, took his turn to recount his week, in which Mark had been involved a lot. Before, when it had come to Mark, Jinyoung had had only his one-sided crush on Mark to talk about but now there was a lot more exciting.

After Jinyoung's account of the week, Wonpil commented, "Sounds like he really cares for you. I mean he wasn't even afraid of showing his concern for you. Do you know if he's gay or not?"

"I don't know, I've never seen him with anyone. But even though he cares for me, I don't think it's for romantic purposes. Most probably, he just can't bear seeing anyone unfairly criticised," Jinyoung said. The thought that Mark maybe liked him, just like the fake note, sounded too good to be the reality.

"You'll never know unless he tells you himself. He knows you like him, right? But he doesn't freak out? That's really saying something. Then he came to where you were. He bought you ice-cream. Wanted to hear you sing. I mean I understand he was concerned for you and apologised to you because his friends had ridiculed you. But everything else, isn't he going further than he needs to?"

Wonpil's words did brighten up Jinyoung. But in the back of his mind, he knew Wonpil's reasoning was not all right. Maybe his roommate understood the situation but did not Mark.

"Mark's different. I think he considered everything he'd done for me necessary. He didn't want to feel guilty and values social justice. He's such kind of person," Jinyoung said, pensively.

"So you think his intention's always been unbiased?" Wonpil asked. "Well, I'm not an expert and don't know what really is in his mind. One thing though, you've really chosen the right person."

"Except that he'd never like me back."

"Who knows," Wonpil said, still not wanting to give up his view, "But why do you sound so certain?"

"I don't know. I've just that feeling. There's also one thing." Jinyoung recalled what Mark's friends had said to Mark the previous day and told Wonpil about that.

His roommate was attentive and when Jinyoung finished his narrative, Wonpil said, "Without having ever seen them, I'm beginning to despise his friends."

"They weren't wrong anyway," Jinyoung said, looking at the ceiling above wistfully, "I don't want to be a disadvantage for Mark. I'd hate that 'because of me'."

"That's his choice, Jinyoung, whether he continues to associate with you or not. Are you saying that you'll avoid him when he talks to you next time?"

That was not what was in his mind, either. After everything Mark had done for him, it would be more than rude if he chose to avoid Mark, as Wonpil had said. What he only hoped was Mark would think of himself first before defending him, especially when others were around.

"Yeah, that's his choice. I just hope he won't be too considerate towards me."

"And you shouldn't be too negative about yourself," Wonpil said, "Who says you aren't worth liking or fighting for?"

Almost everyone here. But Jinyoung understood what Wonpil meant. Even then, what Wonpil had said was a little too far from the reality.

In the afternoon, Jinyoung was alone in the room. He thought of taking a nap but ended up video-calling home - Wonpil had shown him how to and he had, in turn, taught his grandparents.

His grandmother answered the call, trying to fit herself in the camera view. Her accented voice calling his name, immediately warmed his heart. "Wait, I'll call your grandpa. He's in the yard."

Before Jinyoung could even respond, she had left the phone and soon her shouting the grandpa's name was heard. A minute later, they appeared together.

"Jinyoung, how're you doing? Everything's good there?" The good-natured voice of his grandfather made him long for home more. "Where's your roommate? That Wonpil kid."

"He's a part-time job, grandpa. How're you two doing? I want to come back home soon," Jinyoung said, blinking hard.

"Our baby, don't be sad," the grandmother said, comfortingly, "We're all doing good. Is it cold there? Stay warm. I'm knitting sweaters for you and one for Wonpil."

"He'll like it. Grandma, don't tire yourself too much. I can buy clothes here too."

"I know they're expensive. I'm not tired at all. It's your grandpa, who's in the yard day and night. I can't convince him to work less. Tell your grandpa yourself," she said, half reproachfully and half affectionately.

"That's true, grandpa?"

His grandfather squared his shoulders, as if to show he could still endure the hard work. His grandparents were both in their sixties and yet the grandfather was still actively leading the grape plantation in their backyard. At the busy seasons, however, there were workers hired.

"This year, there'll be a great market for grapes. And more demand for them. Don't worry, I'm healthy with the strong will alone," the grandfather said, heartily.

"It's always what he says," the grandmother said, "But don't worry about us. Focus on your studies. And come back when you've any long holidays. We miss you, baby. Oh, I forgot to tell you. Your Sooyeon noona just gave birth yesterday. She was just saying she wanted you to see her new boy."

Sooyeon was their neighbour and had been pregnant when Jinyoung had left home. It was her third pregnancy after she had given birth to a girl three years ago. Her eldest boy was already at the age of going to school. He was a loveable boy, who called Jinyoung hyung, despite their huge age gap, and had cried when Jinyoung had left Jinhae.

"Is she alright?"

"She's as healthy as ever..." His grandmother happily recounted how Sooyeon would not leave her newborn and all the household chores were now her husband's responsibility.

They continued to talk for a long time, until his grandfather had to get back to work. Jinyoung had felt a lot better by the time the call ended, and as he had planned, he fell asleep right afterwards.