Chapter 17

It was the nature of most girls that their hearts tended to beat for cold, bad-ass, handsome boys who would not pay them the attention they wanted. It was not at all surprising when they took double glances at someone whose features were so distinct under the morning sun, whose strides had a sense of manliness but never of wavering and who would never return their glances.

And they would never guess that it was the very same person they had once thrown reproachful glances at.

Jinyoung took no notice of them, his lips set in a firm line and his heart still hardened. He was still nursing his own bitterness for the society which had once outcasted him. He was sure he would never become a part of it. Nor was he going to try to.

Once he entered the classroom, were his eyes set on nothing but his way to his seat. The whispers from his classmates, "Is that Jinyoung? For real?" failed to get any reaction out of him.

"Jinyoung." Mark had followed him and grabbed his arm in the middle of the classroom. "I almost didn't recognise you! Did you have a haircut?"

Jinyoung gently removed Mark's hand and continued his way. After he had sat down in his seat, Mark was before his desk, his eyes both puzzled and anxious.

"Are you mad at me? What happened on Friday, I still don't understand. I... I didn't expect that kind of reaction, honestly. Did I do something wrong?"

However stone-cold and numb his heart was at the moment, the sight of Mark, his voice and his seemingly caring words still stung Jinyoung. But never did he let his eyes turn upward to meet Mark's. Enough. It was all enough and Mark should fade away from his life.

"I'm sorry if I did anything wrong. Please just don't give me this treatment. I... I..." Mark could not continue as the lecturer arrived and he had to rush back to his seat.

Once Mark was away, Jinyoung looked out of the window but seeing nothing. His heart painfully beating again.

Once in the middle of the lecture, an incoming call interrupted the lecturer and saying that it was from one of his superiors, he excused himself a moment.

The two girls in front of Jinyoung took this chance to turn around and converse with him. Their eyes were filled with both incredulity and admiration as they looked at Jinyoung.

"You-you changed a lot. I never thought you'd ever be with short hair. You look really... good," one of them said, trying to give him her best smile.

"Do you have anyone you're seeing? Is that why you've groomed yourself? I hope not?" another one said, expectantly. "I've never seen you with anyone."

Jinyoung looked away, showing that he was not at all in the mood to answer their questions or talk with them. But they would not stop bombarding him with questions. Did he want to have lunch with them? It would be on them. What did he usually do after the classes? If there was any group project, would he want to be in the same group with them? Even when they had guessed already that he would never give a response.

Only when the lecturer came back in, they turned around to the front, disappointed.

In the afternoon, Jinyoung was on his way out of the campus. He tightened his hold on the bag strap when he heard the familiar footsteps behind him.

"Jinyoung," Mark called, trying to keep up with him. "Please, tell me what's wrong! Why won't you talk to me? What's bothering you? No, what changed you? You're not like this. I know you. Something's going on, isn't it?"

At one point, Mark tried to block Jinyoung, looking desperate for an answer. "Tell me. I'll amend anything I did wrong. I'll apologise to you again and again till you're satisfied, Jinyoung. Just tell me what I did wrong."

For the first time that day, Jinyoung looked at Mark in the eyes. If Mark could read his eyes, then let him. Let him see that empty, bitter heart through the eyes.

But Mark could not hold the gaze for long and shifted his eyes away, uneasily. There was no trace of usual warmth in Jinyoung's eyes.

Jinyoung moved and Mark held his arm, his eyes pleading again. Just then, someone appeared near them and tentatively approached.

"J-Jinyoung?"

It was one of their female classmates, and she was now standing so close to Jinyoung that her shoulder bumped against his arm. That quickly got on his nerves.

Mark did not seem to like the interruption, especially when the girl started talking.

"I-I was kind of following you. Can I walk with you? I promise only when you want me to talk, I'll," she said, half nervously and half excitedly.

"Look, I'm talking-," Mark said but was cut off by Jinyoung.

"What's your name?" Jinyoung asked, to both Mark's and the girl's surprise. "All you want is to walk with me?"

"Eunju! Lee Eunju. A-Actually, do you want to go to a cafe with me?"

Jinyoung could feel Mark's hand slowly slipping off his arm; he wished Mark would go away. He wished Mark would no more have any effect on him. "Sounds interesting. Let's go then?"

"Jinyoung," Mark tried to call his attention.

"Really? Will you really go have some coffee with me?"

"Yes, that's what I'm saying," Jinyoung said, still annoyed by her. He led the overwhelmed girl away. Never for once taking another glance at Mark, who was left stunned. Never once.