Chapter 24

The empty seat at the back of the classroom. Mark's eyes kept going back on it. Why was Jinyoung not here yet? Mark had come here early and had been waiting for Jinyoung since then.

He needed to talk to Jinyoung. About what he had seen the previous night. It was about time Jinyoung had considered again what kind of guy he had been dating.

It made Mark restless to think Jinyoung might be somewhere, having his sweet time with Jae. Why was it that Jinyoung could date someone like Jae, but when it came to Mark, he did not even want to talk to him?

With every minute passed, it became more and more certain that Jinyoung was not coming here. The next class was also a major one and Mark could hope to meet Jinyoung then.

But Mark knew himself he could not wait for that long. He was so restless he needed to do something. He could not just sit still here. Soon, he was on his way out the classroom and outside on the campus.

Could Jinyoung be in that restaurant he usually had lunch at? That was a possibility. He made his way there but Jinyoung was not found there. He was probably in the Computer Science Department but that meant he was with Jae.

Mark did not know where exactly he was going. He had no direction but was just walking around the campus. But as if his legs knew where he longed to be, when he took notice of the surrounding again, he found he was not very far from the bench where his friendship with Jinyoung had developed and ended.

He had not expected Jinyoung to be there but it turned out Jinyoung was there. But not alone. Jae was there talking and laughing with Jinyoung. The sight enraged Mark. How could that guy act like he had done nothing intolerable behind Jinyoung's back?

Without any second thought, he strode to them and ignoring both of their questioning eyes, he grabbed Jae by the front part of his T-shirt and hauled him up to his feet, before slamming his fist against the bewildered face.

He did not remember what the last time he had punched someone was. He was a kind of person who did not like conflicts. But now even the sight of blood at the corner of Jae's lips did not stop Mark.

He was ready to land another blow but was abruptly pushed away by Jinyoung, who came in between them and whose anger evident in his eyes matched Mark's.

"What's your problem? What the hell do you want?"

"You ask him, Jinyoung!" Mark yelled, "Ask him what the hell he did last night!" He glared at Jae, whose eyebrows rose in indifference.

"Oh, what did I do then? Just say you're jealous of me! So pathetic!"

Mark lunged forward and Jinyoung pushed him away again. "You'd better leave."

"No, I won't. I won't leave until he apologises to you!"

"Don't you think you're being too obvious? Deal with him yourself, Jinyoung. I'm leaving." Jae grabbed his bag and threw a final mocking glance at Mark, before leaving.

Mark could not bear looking at Jinyoung's eyes, which were so acid, and what they conveyed, Mark did not dare interpret. After several seconds, Jinyoung turned away but Mark caught his wrist to stop him.

"I didn't do it for no reason. He cheated on you. I saw him-"

"You don't need to tell me. I don't care. I don't want to know. Stop your concerns. I'm sick of them," Jinyoung said.

"How could I not be concerned? Do you know what he did?" Mark raised his voice, "He was with a girl and they were in a room-"

"I said I don't care! He can do whatever he wants with whoever he chooses! You. You should top caring about me!" Jinyoung shook his hand off Mark's hold and took his bag, which had been placed on the bench.

"I meant well, Jinyoung. I can't stop caring about you." Even though Jinyoung made no response, Mark hoped he had heard him. Then Jinyoung left.

Mark thought Jinyoung would not attend the next class, given what had happened. But Jinyoung did come. He did not look at Mark and there was still a trace of fury in his expression. He did not look up when Mark was before his desk.

"I'm sorry. If you're still angry with me for what I did," Mark muttered. "But... I don't regret punching him. He deserved it."

When Jinyoung's eyes gave no sign of turning upward, Mark lowered his body, nearly crouching, just to look Jinyoung in the eyes.

"You mean a lot to me," Mark continued, "I want to be with you. I really do. Not just as a friend. As long as I can be with you."

Jinyoung looked at him but his lips were set in a straight line. They did not move. Nothing came out of them.

"You're the one I want to be with, Jinyoung. If only you understand how I'm feeling. It's all burning inside me." Mark's hand approached Jinyoung's hand to hold but Jinyoung did not let him.

"Can't you forgive me yet? Tell me what I need to do. I'll do anything except from staying away from you."

Jinyoung shifted his eyes away and Mark remained looking up at him. He wished Jinyoung would say something. Anything. Anything would have been more bearable than this silence.

But Jinyoung did not and at last, Mark straightened himself up. He looked at Jinyoung's hand that had rejected his touch. "I don't mind how long it takes. As long as you'll come back to me one day."

He finally moved away. Not knowing that Jinyoung's eyes had followed him.