Chapter five

While I was waiting for Shaylene and her friend, I decided to get me something to drink. I made my way to the kitchen, and saw an unfamiliar figure standing by the window, looking out over the garden. I stopped in my tracks, not knowing how to make myself known, but I guess the stranger already heard my footsteps, becaue she threw a quick look over her shoulder, acknowledging my presence, then went back to what she was doing.

"Your hair looks funny. Why did you cut it, and dye it black?" she asked in a soft voice. She thinks that I'm Shaylene. So, I might as well pretend to be her.

"I thought a change would do me good" I said in a high pitched voice, immitating Shaylene.

"Your voice sounds funny,too. Is that also part of your change?" she asked, not bothering to look back.

"Do you usually ask this many questions?" I asked her in my real voice. Hearing my voice, she spun around and stared at me wide eyed, like a doe caught in headlights. I walked towards her wanting to introduce myself, but with each step I took, she pressed herself against the wall. I stopped in my tracks, not wanting to scare her more, so, I gave her a smile, and said, "The name's Michael. What's your name?". So, that probably was not the best way to introduce myself, but honestly, how do you approach a girl with so much fear in her eyes.

"I see you found Cassidy" Shaylene said, as she walked into the kitchen. So, Cassidy is her name. A beautiful name, for a beautiful girl. "Cassidy, this is my cousin Michael, the one who I told you about. He will be eating with us tonight" Shaylene spoke again.

"Oh, hi Michael" Cassidy said, only this time she looks more relaxed, though, she still has her guard up. "The fairy lights you set up in the garden looks beautiful" She said, complimenting Shaylene, making her glow with pride. Shaylene has always been the one to look after her garden, saying that it is the mirror of the house. If your garden is kept neat and tidy, the inside of your home reflects the same, and with this I agree.

"Thanks... Hey guys, how about we have dinner in the garden, sounds good?" Shaylene said. At the same time, we both said it would be lovely. This, made Cassidy blush in the slighest manner, which was really cute.

We helped Shaylene with setting up the dinner in the garden, and in no time we were eating. Shaylene and I made small talk, catching up on things. Cassidy only answered yes or no, when asked a question, other than that, she was quiet.

"May I be excused, please?" Cassidy asked, softly. I looked at her plate, half of her food still left untouched, and the thing is, she didn't dish herself a lot. I saw how Shaylene looked down at her plate, then looked back up at her giving her a strange look. Shaylene sighed, and then excused her. With trembling hands, she pushed her plate away from her, stood up, and left. Before she disappeared around the corner, she looked at me, heavy emotions flickered in her eyes, then she was gone.

"Sorry, she isn't always like this. She is a quiet person, but tonight, she was just different" Shaylene said, looking thoughtful.

"It's okay, no need to apologise. Shouldn't you go check if she's okay?" I asked. I could feel worry building up in me, leaving me with the strong urge to go after Cassidy, but I kept myself seated. It would be better if Shaylene went alone, I don't want to make Cassidy feel more uncomfortable around me then she already is feeling.

" I think I should. Help yourself with some more" she said, gesturing to the food on the table. She got up, then before she rounded the corner, she called out to me," I'll be right back."

I dished me more food, and ate slowly. I finished the plate, but Shaylene was still not back. What's taking her so long? I mean, it can't be that hard to find her, she just went into the house a few minutes ago. I got up from my seat, and began to pace back and forth. To calm myself, I deided to take a walk in the garden. Maybe, I'm just worrying over nonsense. Maybe, my eyes were just playing tricks on me. Maybe, my eyes has mistaken the emotion of fear and hurt, for something else. Maybe, she is okay.