THIRTY [strawberry]

2019

And now he's standing there, watching them kiss between the trees. At first they were just talking. Now they are kissing. And Stan hates it. He wants to be mad, walk over to them and scream in their faces, pull Kenny away and break his nose. But he is not mad. It's his own fault. He forced Kyle back into Kenny's arms with his stupid behavior. And that feeling is way worse. "Stan?" Craig appears next to him. His voice is quiet. He has probably seen them as well. "This is Tweek." Stan turns around, angry about the distraction and at the same time thankful for it. Next to Craig stands a short nervous looking boy with blonde hair and greenish eyes. "Hey." Stan just nods. He doesn't have the energy to respond. "Today is movie night in the community room and we decided to go lend a movie. We were wondering if you want to come with us." "You guys still lend dvds? Do you not have Netflix or something?" His heart aches to turn around again. Check if they are still standing there. "We do but the tv is a pretty old one. But it's not a big deal, there's a dvd store in town." Stan's eyes glide over to the trees. Still kissing. "Alright, I'll come with you."

It's hard for Stan to join the conversation which develops between Craig and Tweek while they are walking down the quiet country road connecting their school to the small town of Eckley. His eyes glide over the fields and the blue sky. A flock of birds flies by and Stan wishes he was up there with them. Every bird always has a certain spot in their formation. Birds don't steal each other's spots or get abandoned from the group unless they fuck up really bad. Or get lost. Stan does feel very lost and overwhelmed. He can feel all of his emotions slowly mixing into each other and forming a gooey ball which gets stuck in his throat. Sooner or later he will choke on it. Everything else is numb. He is dreading his bed. He doesn't want to do this shit anymore. Maybe Kyle and him aren't meant for each other. Maybe he has to let go before he gets hurt even more. But he's way too much in love with that boy to do that.
Eckley is not very exciting. It has a  cafe, a pizzeria, a supermarket, a tiny cinema and a small park. It's nothing special but good enough. Better than sitting around in school day in and day out. The video library is next to a tiny bakery. When they enter the shop it is completely empty. Stan just follows the other two who are going straight to the shelve with old black and white movies. Stan clears his throat. "So what are we looking for?" Tweek shrugs his shoulders and avoids Stan's eyes. "Something funny?" Craig pulls out a dvd and checks out the description before putting it back and letting out a sigh. "If it was for me I'd get an Alfred Hitchcock but those fuckers probably want some mainstream Fast & Furious shit." "A critic is talking." They walk over to the other side of the shop. Shelves over shelves filled with blockbusters. "It's not an opinion but a fact that old movies are the best. Today's stuff is just repetitive with humor that is made to kill your brain cells one by one." Stan doesn't feel like arguing. He pulls out a dvd. "What about Hangover? You can't do anything wrong with that movie." Craig rolls his eyes but nods. Tweek doesn't say anything and just holds Craig's hand. The scene makes Stan's heart pull together. "So." Craig scratches his neck. "You and Kyle are over?" The words hit Stan like stones. "Looks like it." Craig nods. "You two would have made a good couple. Maybe you just need to give him some time." "I don't know. Maybe we don't belong together." Craig's eyes fly around the room. He seems uncomfortable as well now. His fault. He started. "I need a smoke. Can you handle this real quick?" Stan nods and takes the dvd. Craig pulls Tweek out of the store and Stan watches through the window how he pulls out a cigarette. Tweek wraps his arms around his waist. Fuck. He goes over to the cash register and puts the dvd down. Stan's eyes fixate the sweets. He grabs a pack of strawberry flavored gum and puts it down next to the dvd. "$5.20 please." Stan pulls out his card and swipes it over the card reader. Then he looks up to the cashier and for a second his heart stops. He knows this woman. "Sweetie, are you okay? I know it's none of my biz and I shouldn't eavesdrop but you sounded quite upset." Blonde curls, red lips, blue eyes. "I-I'm fine, thanks." He grabs his stuff. Bebe sticks a strand of hair behind her ear. "I think your friend was right. Give your boo some time, he'll come back if he really loves you." Stan just nods. "Alright here's your ticket. Enjoy your movie and good luck!" "T-thanks." He turns away and stumbles out of the shop. Fuck what was that? What is happening? "I'll give you the money back when were at school again." They start walking down the street and Stan tries to look as calm as possible. But in his head his thoughts are jumping up and down like pinballs. What is Bebe doing here? Does she know Kyle? Or will she get to know him? And now that they have met, is the future going to change? Will she remember him? Know about his feelings for Kyle? What could that lead to? Maybe we're not meant for each other. But if they aren't then why does stuff like this keep happening? What if a life without Kyle is not possible?