Strange Frequencies part 2

Cora opened her door and Ruben walked in, gladly though awkwardly. He had his hands stuffed in his pockets as he stepped in while Cora closed the door behind him. His eyes went about as he took their condo in. They slowly strolled into the living room where her books were still open on the table in front of the sofa. The baby and her carrier she had already moved off back to his room.

"Glad you decided to let me in," he said softly as he stopped in their kitchen.

"Yeah, well," she trailed off. Cora could sense that Ruben was a bit nervous. To be honest, she was a little nervous too. It wasn't like this was her first time alone with a boy, but it was the first time that she'd been in this...situation. As cliché as it was, having a boy over to help with homework, she had never done that before. "Uh, would you like something to drink?" she decided to ask.

"Yeah, just some water."

"Okay, just make yourself at home."

Ruben went and sat down and started to absentmindedly drum his fingers on his laps as his eyes wandered around. "You've got a nice place here," he said out to her.

"Thanks." She then came back with a bottle of water. I'm sure it's not as nice as yours. You live out by Flushing Meadows, right?"

Flushing Meadows was a small suburban house district. Most of the richest families in the area lived there

"Yeah," Ruben nodded. "But, I hope you don't hold that against me. To be honest, I can't stand most of my neighbors. Nothing but self-absorbed jackasses."

Cora let a small giggle escape. "Oh, I'll bet."

The two of them then settled in and Ruben began to help her get through the hard parts of the assignment. Cora found that she might just finish the paper by the end of the night. After about a half hour, Ruben was letting himself lean back into the sofa, getting more comfortable.

"So, you said you lived with your brother? Where is he?"

"Huh? Oh yeah, he's out with a friend tonight."

"A friend? Or a friend?" he asked pointedly.

"To be honest, I don't think even he knows." She let a small smile creep in. "But, I hope he ends up spending the night."

"Are you trying to play matchmaker for your brother?"

Cora rolled her eyes. "No, but I've seen him do worse. With this one, he honestly couldn't do better. And I really like her too. I would like to see her around more."

He straightened himself up a bit. "Yeah? And...is she the only one you'd like around more?"

She looked towards him and they just stared at each other. It could've been for a few seconds or a few minutes, neither were sure. All they knew is that one moment, they were staring at each other and then were starting to lean in closer. But before they could get too close, there was a sudden bout of crying coming from upstairs that made them jolt apart.

"What's that?" asked Ruben.

____________

Scott, Malia, her father Henry, Liam and Hayden were standing in the school parking lot and watched as Lydia's car began to pull in and she along with Parrish got out and immediately went over to the trunk to pull out the jammers that they had spent a good part of the day working on. Malia and her dad moved to eye the jammers.

Henry picked one up and turned it around in his hands. "These will work?"

"We hope so," answered Lydia. "We know that the Dread Doctors are able to move about on their own frequency, so this might help keep them away."