9. King of kindness

Winter's POV 

We're all gathered around Grandma's dinnertable. My big brothers Eric the alpha and Kellan the asshole, are sitting at the ends of the table looking like everything is peachy fine. 

Kellan's mate Benjamin is hunched down, looking awkwardly at the pile of pasta on his plate, sitting next to me. Grandma is on my other side and next to her is the source of evil. 

His auburn curls shine like silke under the yellow kitchen lamp. Lively green eyes smile deceptively at the others. It's unfair really. Everyone thinks he is the king of kindness. I know better. 

"Eat your greens~" Kellan teases, taking his eyes off of his mate for a second to taunt me. 

"Let him be" Grandma defends me. 

"No, Kellan's right. You'll never grow into a big, bad wolf if you don't eat your vegetables" Conroy agrees sweetly and gives me a jeering smile. 

"Fuck you!" I snap back. 

"Watch your language" Eric complains with a disapointed stare, but my eyes are busy staring down the evil king. 

He just looks at me, all smiles and rainbows. Like yesterday never happened. 

"Maybe he's a little cranky today. Children can be like that" Conroy suggests. 

"Hah! But he's already twenty; at that you can't be called a child, can you" Kellan argues with an amused voice. 

"I'm right here!!!" I complain and glare at them both. 

"Ah, really? I couldn't tell by looking at him. You really need to eat better, Winter. Or else you'll be this tiny wolf forever" he says pityingly. 

"Shut up!" I hiss and feel the anger erupt like lava flowing out of my chest. 

"Winter" Eric warns me with a stern tone. 

"It's OK, alpha. I'm not affected by the moods of children" Conroys provokes me and I feel the lava pour down my limbs, following the blood out in my fingers. 

"Yes, I'm sorry. He's not usually like this" Eric apologizes with a disappointed tone and a puzzled glance my way as if he doesn't understand what Conroy is doing. My whole beeing is boiling. 

"Of course" Conroy agrees with an understanding tone before he tuns my way with the most gentle and sugary smile. His eyes look at me as if I'm supposed to say something at that, apologize even. 

My anger breaks loose and I though I know what they all will think I just have to explain. 

"YOU FUCKING BASTARD! STOP CALLING ME A CHILD!" I yell at him. 

"Winter, please calm down" Eric tells me. Benjamin cowers at my anger, Kellan rolls his eyes at me and strokes his mate's arm. Conroy is smiling as if I've just played into his hands. 

"I AM CALM! He's the one that is being a jerk!" I shout and stand up pointing at the culprit who just smiles calmly. 

"You can't blame Conroy for making you scream" Eric argues with his most adult tone. 

"BUT HE... he... Can't you see?"  I howl desperatly, my chest heaving with frustrated lava. 

"Winter..." Conroy says and reaches his hand out. I snach mine away but the tip of his finger lightly grazes the back of my hand. It's as if all the melted, furius rock inside me freezes and I can't breathe. 

I'm robbed of both wind and blood as my heart faints. A wave of something painful leaves a tingling sensation on my skin. I can't speak. My chest hurts and something's wrong with my body. 

Thankfully it reacts on it's own, springing to life, as he stands up with a concerned look on his fairytail-prince-face. I shoot back and suck in deep breaths that fills me with hate. My chest is caught in a hurricane of emotions but I just shake my head to keep them from seeing my tears. 

"Fuck you" I hiss and my tone trembles with outrage. With that I fly out the door and run into the thick forest and it's welcoming darkness. At the usual tree I yank my clothes off and stuff them in a hole before turning into wolf form and shooting off. 

The darkness of the woods is calmly inviting. I wouldn't mind disappearing in here.