Chapter 6

Once the sun was starting to rise, Sebastian and I started our rounds of waking everyone up. The night was quite, but I couldn't shake the small gesture, from last night, from my mind. This started out with me only worrying about 1 other person, now all of a sudden I was forced to worry about 8 others? I was starting to go insane, but like Seb said we have to keep it together for the group. He was right, I couldn't lose it yet. Not now.
"I'm gonna go out, do a perimeter check before we pile everyone outside." I said as I slide my hand gun inside of my holster. "Shouldn't be many out, but just incase be careful." Seb said coming from out of the boys room. I nodded my head and began heading towards the door.
Once I cleared everything out of the way of the door, I slowly opened it and poked my head out. Hallway clear. I exited the room and shut the door slowly and quietly. I made my way towards the emergency stairs, down to the first floor. Just like everywhere the hotel was trashed, but it was doable. I walked to the glass door and before opening it I looked around.
When the sun was up we didn't see many of the zeds. They liked to hunt at night. Scoping around the car I took note and thanked Elle for parking close. Once I deemed the area safe I proceeded to open the door. Click click click. It came from the right side of the building. Slowly making my way toward the corner, I braced myself for a peek.
It was a middle aged woman. She had to be in her late 30s, one of her arms dangled to her side, probably broken. Her eyes where bloodshot red, and her bottom lip was torn in half. You could see teeth and bones. Her neck was bleeding from a wound. Probably where they attacked her. Hair was matted and some missing. She was clicking her jaw. Nipping at the air. The noises that came out of her sounded so inhuman. How did this happen? How did the world come to this? One minute everything was fine and the next I have an animalistic women walking towards me as if she was possessed by a damn demon.
I stood up placing my back agains the wall, the lady no longer in my view. I listened to her feet sliding agains the floor. Sssschu. Ssschu. It was getting closer and closer each step she took. My heart was beating fast. I was no expert at this so one wrong move and that could be it. Ssschu. Ssschu. She was next to me now, she sniffed the air a couple times. Nipping at something. Then kept walking. Once she was a good few feet away, I creeped up to her knife in hand and plunged it into her skull.
Bones are thick so retrieving the knife was always hard. Once I got it unwedged from her skull I wiped it off on my pants and finished patrolling the area. After doing at-least two more rounds I headed back inside of the hotel. "It's safe for now. There was only one, so we need to pack up fast and get a move on before anymore show up." After reporting back to everyone we packed up or supplies put them back inside of the car and hit the road again.
•several hours later•
"Ughh, this car ride is so uncomfortable. Are we there yet? Where the hell are we even going?" An irritated Joan asks. Girl has been repeating the same thing for the past hour now, and based on everyone's faces we where all starting to get irritable. "We are heading East now. We are here, and the lake house is here." I pointed. "Should be arriving in another day or two. The place is pretty locked down and only family know how to get in so it should be safe for a while." I finished talking to everyone in the car. Without navigation systems, we had to learn how to read a map. Although my dad was a successful man, whenever I went and stayed with him he would always teach me a few things to know in order to survive. Seriously looking back though, I felt he knew more than he let on.
With Elle's speedy driving, thanks to no more traffic laws, I started seeing more familiar road signs guiding us to the house. the sun was beginning to set again so we all opted for stopping and settling camp somewhere. We were deep in the woods and the only thing I could think of that was near by was an old gas station. It was ran by this little old couple that lived around the area. The gas station had a living attachment upstairs so it would be prefect for us. Let's just hope it was unoccupied.
We had about 4 hours left before the sunset when we arrived at the station. For the most part it looked abandoned, but one could never be so sure. Once again the boys took lead scoping out the place before ushering us all to the door. I was shocked to see, through the door, that the place was still intact. Must have been closed when the world went to shit. I knew the couple and came here often when I was younger, they would often show me around the place and how to get in if there was ever a need without setting off alarms. Silently thanking them for that, I head for the flower pot that held a spare key.
Opening the doors I allowed the guys to go first. Once they felt as if the coast was clear. The kids went in next, and then the girls and I. I made sure to lock the place back up, and pull down the metal gate for extra security. The place only had the glass door and one window, not many escape points but not many entry points either. The boys head upstairs to look around, and the kids ran around grabbing candy bars and any other sweets they could get their hands on. Just as we started to get settled and unpack the power cut out. "Shit I thought it would last longer than a damn month and a half." I swore under my breath. "Powers gone, there is some flashlights and batteries along the electronics wall. Everyone grab one and keep it close to your person." I yelled out making sure the boys could also hear me from upstairs. This was gonna be a long night.

🤍🤍🤍
Ok, getting closer to our destination. Powers out now bummer, but I have a feeling Kira will make sure to keep everyone safe.