Chapter 10

We didn't have much stuff to grab, again no one was prepared for this. We all had either been in the process of getting off work or out of school when the virus took over. After emptying the car, we locked the doors. We could come back for it after getting settled into our new home. Before we started our walk I figured locking the store would be a good idea to, we left behind a lot of goodies we probably could come back to grab later as well.
Once I made sure to secure everything, I nodded my head ushering for us to begin our walk. It was only about a mile away so reaching our destination shouldn't take us very long. I was caught up in my own head to realize Joan had walked up next to me. "I thought I told you to protect the kids?" I asked, irritation laced with my words. "I know, I just felt the need to apologize for how I've been acting." I turned towards her tilting my head slightly. Narrowing my eyes "what are you up to? And why did you feel the need to apologize to me?" I say trying to figure out what she was getting at. "We all have our ways of grieving. All you guys have done is protect me and the way I repaid you was complaining. I wanna change that, if you people are gonna be the closest I get to a family again." She finished, she picked her pace back up catching back up to Elle and the kids. The way we decided was best to protect our group while walking was Lucas and Silas up front, Elle and Joan on either side of the kids in the middle, and Sebastian and I at the back. We walked on the dirt road leading up to the house, I could see it from a distance. The house was pretty big, it was two stories high. It had about 10 bedrooms and 51/2 bathrooms. A finished basement, a gorgeous garden, and obviously a beautiful view of the lake. The entire perimeter was fenced off due to it being a private property. Papa was loaded and grandma loved her things being fancy and beautiful. I wish sometimes to go back to that, when they were alive and everything was normal. The walk wasn't too bad, thanks to the daylight and being out in the woods. We didn't come into contact with many infected maybe a few here and there, most being old residents. The boys would take care of them while the girls and I shielded the kids.
Few more exhausted hours later and we finally reached the gate. Everyone stared at the house in awe, even me. It had been years since I been back here I had almost forgotten how beautiful it actually was. I quickly put in the code for the gate, 01-06-98. Mom's birthday. She changed it once they passed. Thinking about her sadden me more, I missed her more than anything. "Wow you never mentioned anything about being rich Kira." Joan said in awe "that's because I'm not, it was an inheritance. My papa knew how much this place meant to my mom so he left it to her." I said smiling at the memories of all the stories she use to tell of being here. She was their last child so once everyone grew older and moved out they brought her here a lot, and once I came along she liked to bring me here as well. When my grandparents died she didn't like to visit as much. It just brought a lot of heartbreak and sadness to us. They were all we had.
We started walking up the driveway after the gates opened and shut. Wasn't surprised this place had power, my papa was crazy he kept loads of generators. Smiling at the sight of my new home I lifted up one of the decorative rocks and attached to the bottom was a jar that held a ring of keys. Opening it up I take out the Keys turning to my group smiling with glee. "Are you guys ready to see our new home?" Everyone nodded with eagerness happy to finally catch a break from the madness of the world. We needed this and after the month of horrors we had, we deserved it. Sticking the key into the knob I turned the key and opened the door. "Welcome, home sweet home." I yelled twirling around.  "Kira?" I froze. I knew that voice. I was raised around that voice. That voice created me. I slowly turned around, hoping I wasn't crazy. Praying I wasn't hallucinating. I was face to face with a ghost. I swallowed hoping my voice wouldn't fail me.
"M-m-mom?"

🤍💜🤍
Chapter 10 everybody. Hope you liked it, I know I enjoyed writing it hehehe🖤
Shorter chapter I know, but this book is about to pick up the pace. I have so many ideas I can't wait to bring alive.
Until next time! Mwah <3