6

WE HID IN the bushes as the freight slowed to a stop on the tracks.

When I was sure that the coast was clear, I nodded at the boys and sprinted over to the opened boxcar, pushing myself up and hopping into it.

I ushered Ponyboy and Johnny over as they looked both ways before running to join me inside.

As they hopped on, Pony lost his balance and slipped, falling on top of me. I crashed into the floor, closing my eyes so I could prepare myself for the impact.

The floor was hard, obviously. I winced when I felt pressure on my ankle, the throbbing from earlier returning to it.

I opened my eyes and was met with the panicked face of Ponyboy. He had both of his hands on the floor by either side of my head, trying not to crush me with his weight.

My breath got caught in my throat as we just stayed there, not moving an inch.

"A 'heads up' would've been nice," I coughed out, letting out a small laugh.

Pony furrowed his eyebrows in confusion before realizing the position we were in. His eyes widened as he scrambled to get off of me, fumbling with the jacket that Dally had given him.

"I-I, um, I-I'm—" he stuttered, not being able to form a proper sentence as he pushed himself up onto his feet.

"It's fine, Pony," I smiled, reaching my hands out. "But can you help me up? I think something's wrong with my ankle."

He nodded before grabbing my hand and forearm, hoisting me up onto my uninjured foot.

"Thanks," I added as he placed my arm around his shoulder, bringing his other one around my torso to help me walk.

Pony nodded at me and smiled, walking me over to some crates and boxes. We ducked down with Johnny just as some beams of light flashed over our heads.

We heard the indistinct chatter of the train staff, following the rays of light with our eyes as they traveled all over the room, trying to find if any unwanted passengers had hopped on, like us.

Once they we're sure that no one was on board, they left, checking the other boxcars for any other people.

I let out a breath of relief that I didn't even know I was holding in, letting my head rest against the wall of the boxcar.

"The first stop'll be Windrixville," Johnny said, taking the gun out from his jeans and laying it down on the floor while shaking his head. "I don't know why he gave me this. I couldn't shoot anybody."

Ponyboy sighed beside me, resting his head on my shoulder, sniffling a little.

It was at this moment did I really realize what was actually happening. Johnny Cade, little ol' Johnny who would never even hurt a fly and was too scared to even go watch The Tell-Tale Heart with Ponyboy and I, had killed someone with his switch blade.

We were really running away. With the police after us, a murder weapon, and a loaded gun by our sides.

I trembled a bit, shutting my eyes. I was hoping, praying that this was all a dream. That I'd wake up to the sound of Dally puking his guts out from getting too drunk the night before while I was wrapped up in a big, soft blanket, listening to The Beatles on Buck's old and scratched up stereo that surprisingly still worked.

That I'd wake up to Ponyboy, Johnny, and I sitting in the Lot, looking up at the stars and pointing out different constellations that we could barely remember the names of. 

But when I opened my eyes again,  we were still on that train, still inside of that boxcar, still heading to Windrixville, and still scared of getting caught and imprisoned for killing a Soc.