Chapter 35: Witch Interference

Miss Koran and I went down a steep staircase with only a lit torch in hand. Miss Koran went first to see if their were any traps ahead, but it seemed to be just an ordinary hidden stairway.

At the end of the stairway, we reached the room that resembled a research lab. I found the same glass bottles used by my Teacher as well as in the murder cases.

"A potion lab..." Miss Koran said.

"A potion is a liquid with healing, magical, and or poisonous properties, yes?" I asked Miss Koran. Potions were not mentioned in the novel neither. It almost feels like a different fantasy world from the novel I read. "What kind of potions are out there?"

"It is impossible to name them all. The most popular ones are typically stamina and healing potions, but there are a variety of different kinds of potions out there," Miss Koran said as she began looking at the glass vials. "These are typical generic vials that can easily be purchased in a apothecary shop by anyone really, but I doubt that any regular customer would purchase thirty bottles if they were not a Witch practitioner themselves."

If there are magic potions, there must be Witches as well...

"Does Miss Koran know a lot about Witches?" I asked.

"I have dealt with a lot of them before, so it is understandable that I know quite a bit about them," Miss Koran said bluntly.

Dealt with...is just a fancy way of saying that she has killed or fought with a lot of them before.

"What constitutes as a Witch anyways?" I asked.

"They are able to make potions with magical properties," Miss Koran said.

"Can they use magic?" I asked.

"Oddly enough, Witches are incapable of using magic themselves," Miss Koran said as she put a bottle into her pocket. "We could try going to an apothecary shop and ask if they have seen who had purchased these many bottles before. If they are specifically using these bottles to commit atrocious acts, it is highly possible that a Witch is directly or indirectly involved with the murders."

We soon made our way to an apothecary. When showing the bottle, the owner seemed to have trouble remembering the face of the person who bought the large quantity of bottles. It was not that he had a poor memory but had no recollection of seeing the customer's face. They seemed to use a potion on themselves that would make anyone else looking at them unable to recognize or recall their face.

"Another potion again?" I asked.

"Witches are tricky to deal with because they are unpredictable...I am almost eighty percent sure that a Witch is directly involved with this matter," Miss Koran said. "If that is determined to be true, the Duke will have to make his move on this matter as well."

"Something still bothers me...The mansion was stripped for its valuables but only that room remained untouched," I said.

Miss Koran suddenly brought me to the residence of the Furst Family or more specifically Teacher's only living relative in this world with a letter of recommendation from the King himself in her hands.

I was not filled in upon Miss Koran's plans, so I let her do most of the talking in the beginning.

"Greetings, Lady Lemaire and Lady Koran," Baroness Furst said.

Baroness Furst was a woman with silver hair and piercing red eyes. She had bags under her eyes and sunken cheeks that not even makeup could cover up. It was a bit saddening to see someone so young looking so dark and haggard.