Chapter 41: Had I Died

I thought for a bit that I might as well give up and let the Platinum Killer get to me, but then I would be leaving Miss Koran alone in regret over losing me. I hated that thought even more.

Elze could have assisted in taking down the Platinum Killer and get a reward from the King himself. She could have then used the reward to tie herself with Sheze. Instead, she chose to use the Platinum Killer to give her status as a victim as well as use him to get rid of me.

I could finally tell that I was truly hated by Elze. I should have known from the fact that in all of her letters, she never once asked me how I was doing and only asked about what was happening in the capital. My health or mental state was of no concern to her.

My existence amounted to just making Elze look better. Had I died like in the novel originally, Elze would not have had to resort to cowardly acts to get rid of me.

I went to see Baron Gysel Kruger and his wife again over tea in their garden. They were the ones to specifically ask to see me again.

"Greetings, Baron Kruger and Baroness Kruger. Thank you for inviting me over for tea," I said with a curtsy.

"The pleasure is ours, Lady Lemaire," Baron Gysel Kruger said.

"About Elze, do you mind if I ask what Elze was like growing up?" I asked. "We recently got into a fight, and it seems like I do not know her anymore."

"Elze was a sweet and lonely child when I took her in. When she met you, she became more open and lively. She would talk about you everyday. I no longer worried about her since she had met a good friend. I feel apologetic towards you two since I was the one who sent Elze away," Baron Gysel Kruger said.

"I was around eight when I was taken in by Baron Gysel," Baroness Kruger began. "I was much too close to Elze's age, so he sent Elze abroad to study. When she came back it had already been nearly thirteen years since then. Even after she came back, she decided to live by herself in one of the homes. It is more convenient for her to move around but I imagine that it must be quite lonely by herself."

"Elze is living alone in the capital?" I asked.

"I certainly would have thought she told you," Baron Gysel Kruger said.

I doubt that they know that Elze is currently living with Sheze at his estate. If she is living there, they have probably also...

"I have not been able to go to her home, if you could tell me where it is, I would like to go apologize to her directly," I said.

"Of course, Lady Lemaire," Baron Gysel Kruger said as he gave me the details.

I left soon afterwards with Miss Koran. We took a short walk through the bustling streets.

Despite there being a serial killer out there, the streets were still busy. Most people thought they were safe because the Platinum Killer only went after young blondes.

I could only admire their efforts to maintain normalcy...

"What will you do with the address?" Miss Koran asked.

To go or not to go?

"I will think about it later," I said as I shoved the address into my dress.

The Platinum Killer is still out there. All I am chasing are my personal desires...

"Lady Lilian, you mentioned before that the fifth murder victim died too early," Miss Koran said. "Has the motive of the Phantom Killer changed?"

"If anything, Elze was suddenly involved with the story when she was not involved from the beginning," I said.