Chapter 39: The Entitled Few

If the Platinum Killer was injured, he would not have spent time on injuring Elze especially and would have spent his time wisely by fleeing the scene, unless she saw something like she should not have like his face. In that case, how did she get off with such light injuries?

If the killer was injured, why did Elze not report any signs of injury? Did she not see it or was it beneficial for her to not report it?

"Was Lady Elze truly injured in the first place?" Miss Koran asked.

I was suddenly broken out of my train of thought from Miss Koran's serious accusation.

"Are you saying that Elze faked an injury?" I asked.

"Even if he was injured, he would have been able to kill Lady Elze easily. Lady Elze was the only one to see the Platinum Killer and escape alive, yes? How is that possible? No one else has reported seeing the Platinum Killer despite there being reward money if you help catch the criminal," Miss Koran said indifferently. "As I see it, if Lady Elze says that she was the only one who saw the killer and faked an injury, who could tell on her lies?"

"Why would Elze fake an injury?" I asked.

"Would that not be the fastest way in forcing herself into the Duke's heart?" Miss Koran asked.

"Are you saying that Elze lied about everything just so that Sheze would be willing to guard her?" I asked. "That would mean that she was interfering with the investigation if that is the truth!"

"I did not say about everything...It is possible that Lady Elze saw the Platinum Killer from afar but faked an injury and did not mention that the Platinum Killer was injured for her benefit. If the killer is not found, Lady Elze could be protected by the Duke for much longer," Miss Koran speculated.

"Does Elze really need to go this far for Sheze's attention?" I asked.

She already had his heart...

"Love is a difficult emotion to understand," Miss Koran said with a melancholic expression.

I made plans to meet with Elze. She asked that I come to Sheze's estate where she was currently staying. It was to be expected since Sheze was her guard now.

I felt uncomfortable about the entire experience but decided to go since Miss Koran said that she would stay by my side. I finally found someone who was not too mean but also not too kind to me either. She was sincere and the first person I could call a true friend.

Upon arriving, I was greeted by many familiar faces along with Miss Koran. As I expected, she was very loved by her comrades. She kept a stoic face, but I could tell she was trying not to let her smile show.

I asked that Miss Koran spend some time with her friends while I went to spend time with Elze. Miss Koran was a bit reluctant at leaving my side at first but soon came to an agreement after my persistence.

"Lilian! You have come to play with me!" Elze said as she leapt at me.

"I will be going, Miss Koran," I said as I looked back at her.

I was soon brought to a guest room that Elze had heavily redecorated in pink and soft looking items.

"Have some tea, Lilian," Elze said as she poured me some tea and handed me colorful macaroons.

"Thank you, Elze," I said to her.

"Haha...What is there to thank? We are friends, aren't we?" Elze asked with a bright smile.

"...Yes," I said as if it were natural to say that we were friends. "How was it traveling abroad?"

"It was wonderful! I got to see lots of sights and eat tons of good food," Elze said as she suddenly cupped her cheeks. "On top of that, the foreign men were just so kind and gentlemanly towards our people."

I was a bit surprised by how unreserved Elze was being.

"Do you not have the Duke already?" I asked.

"Yes, the Duke is a wonderful man. He is handsome, wealthy, and treats me well. His only fault is probably that he is too perfect," Elze said with a smile. "Enough about me. It seems like you and that handsome Investigator were pretty close."

"Investigator Hughes is a wonderful man, but he is only taking care of me because he is worried about the recent case," I said with a smile.

Elze grabbed my hands.

"Let's do a dress up party!" Elze said excitedly.

I was suddenly made to dress up in around twenty different frilly dresses of Elze's choosing with the most ridiculous outfit being a babydoll lingerie set.

"...I think this is enough, Elze," I said tiredly.

"Alright! You can go change back into your own clothes," Elze said as she clapped her hands.

"I will do that," I said as I quickly went to changing into my own clothes.

"Lilian's figure is so good that anything you wear looks good on you," Elze said.

"I do not think frilly dresses suit me very well," I said.

"Simple and elegant clothes suit Lilian more after all," Elze said in agreement.

I cannot bring myself to think that Elze is lying about her injury. She is such a nice and cute girl who smiles often. She does not need to resort to underhanded tricks to get what she wants.

I was worried for nothing...

We soon went back to eating snacks and sharing stories with each other.

"It has been awhile since you have changed your bandages...Please let me help you," I said as I touched her arm.

"That is not necessary, Lilian. I do not want to expose you to unnecessary bloodshed," Elze said as she pulled her arm back.

"I will be fine if it is for you," I said as I tried to reach for her arm again.

"I'm fine!" Elze yelled.

"...I'm sorry," I quickly apologized.

"...A victim stance is a very powerful position," Elze said with a smile.

"Elze?"

"The victim is morally right, neither responsible nor accountable...and forever entitled to sympathy," Elze said with the coldest eyes that I ever seen before. "Have you ever heard about that?"

The way Elze was looking at me was scaring me.

It suddenly hit me...

"...You are playing the victim," I said.

Elze suddenly bursted out in laughter.

"It took you long enough to realize that I was faking an injury, Lilian," Elze said with a smile. "What gave me away? Was it that perceptive female Knight who gave you a hint?"

I do not know this Elze...

I thought I knew all about her because of what I read in the novel. She was always kind and understanding even towards people who had hurt her, but the only person she could not forgive was me...

"Why did you go this far?" I asked.

"Of course I had to go this far! Who told you to go out and sleep with him before I got to meet him?" Elze asked angrily as she stood up and knocked her chair over.

"...You knew?" I said as I got up.

"Hah, of course I knew...I know you the best in the whole wide world, Lilian," Elze said with tears flowing down her face. "My beautiful Lilian tried to covet my love for herself. There is no greater betrayal than this."

I coveted someone else's love. It was my mistake for falling in love with someone that never belonged to me...

"I'm sorry, Elze. I did not know who he was when I first met him. I was drunk on passion and stupid. At the time, I did not think that he would be someone important to you," I said.

"...You could have at least told me you slept with him. If I knew that, I would have backed off before getting to know him, but even you played me for a fiddle," Elze said as she glared strongly at me. My heart stung when I saw her hurt by my actions. I truly did not deserve her forgiveness. "It is all too late for that now..."