~CHAPTER FOUR~

~CHAPTER FOUR~
Mathews P.O.V

The ambulance hesitated but eventually allowed me to come to the hospital with them. They checked her pulse and a few other things before placing an oxygen mask over her mouth and carrying her on a stretcher into the vehicle. I followed close behind, never taking my eyes off of her. Until I can contact any of her family members or any close friends to contact and notify what has happened, I’m not letting her out of my sight.

When we arrived at the hospital, they wheeled her in through the emergency department. Several doctors and nurses started running around, bumping into each other in the small room. They took some tests and other important information before wheeling her into another room where she will be staying for however long is needed. I grabbed a chair and placed it on the right side of her bed, leaning forward to hold her hand. “I will be back shortly with her results.” And with that, the doctor left.  I didn’t realize until then that there was somebody else in the room. I guess my mind is completely focused on the girl.

I turned to the door for a split second, before turning back and staring at her. The mystery girl who ran into me and collapsed a minute after. I can’t help but wonder what would have happened if I walked along and decided not to follow her. Would anyone else who saw her run into the ally follow? Would they check on what she was doing? Would they have seen her collapse and done something? Gotten help? Or just continue walking and leaving the mystery girl alone to die. The mere thought of them turning their backs sent my anger boiling and I squeezed her cold hand that I was holding.

“You seem to have feelings for the lady? Are you her husband?” The doctor asked, announcing his return. Her husband? Now that put a grin on my face. “I wish..” I whispered back, before turning (still holding her hand) and asked if they have any news. “Well.. Seems like the lady hasn’t been eating at all for the past week… Or for a while actually. She also hasn’t been sleeping very well and her body just gave up. She might be out for a while and even then, her muscles won’t have enough strength to move anywhere or do anything.” The doctor said, scratching the back of his neck and staring at the girl.

“Thank you for all your help doctor” I replied, turning back to her. Her pale skin looked so soft and her luscious red lips had me wanting to taste them, to see if they were as soft and sweet as they looked. I had to fight the urge to kiss her.

“Do you know her name?” I asked the doctor, not even worrying if he had left or not. He seemed to beam,  straightening his shoulders and lifting his chin up a notch, pleased with the question and that he was chosen to answer. “Yes.. We found out her name but trust me… that was hard. I had a little help from a close friend of mine working for the police. You see, this town is small… Real small, everyone knows everyone and they all know each other’s business… But no one seemed to know who she is… well, except for her boss and some co-workers. None of them know anything  else about her.” He said, pointing to her. “My friend looked up her file and found out some… Interesting… information about her. Her boss told me her name is Bella but her file says otherwise. Now… Why would she lie about her name?”

That also seemed weird to me. Was she on the run for some illegal stuff? What did she do? Did she commit a crime? Break in? Vandalism?  Murder?  Are the police looking for her right this minute?  I frowned, many questions seemed to stay in his head un-answered.

Her hand flinched in mine and my eyes flew to her. She groaned and scrunched up her nose in a way that made me want to kiss it. The doctor excused himself, and closed the door behind him. She started shacking, and if he wasn’t holding onto her he wouldn’t have noticed. She seemed too innocent. Too vulnerable to commit any crimes.  No, he doesn’t believe that she would. He decided to find out when she woke up.

I lowered my face down and kissed the top of her hand, rubbing my thumb in soothing circles around her palm. After a couple minutes, she un-scrunched her nose and stopped shaking.