chapter five

-5-

 My mom doesn’t come after me and I’m glad she doesn’t. She knows I don’t want to be forced to stay there. My parents will just let me go. They won’t care that I’m gone.

 Oh shit, the killer; possibly James.

  In all honesty, I’d rather face a killer than my parents though. With a killer, you know what they’re going to do; they’ll kill you, it’s common sense. I decide to play it safe and head to Alex’s house. That’s better than staying outside and risking my life. I’m being fucking paranoid.

I take a deep breath; I’ll be fine. I can make it to Alex’s house. He lives only five minutes away.

“I’ve finally found you,” a voice says from behind me. James. “I looked pretty hard.” He steps in front of me so I’m forced to stop. It’s clear he’s not going to let me go anywhere until he gets what he wants.

I just get to the point, asking him the question that’s been on my mind. “Did you have anything to do with the murder in the park?” I ask him.

He doesn’t say anything; he just presses his mouth to mine. I’m momentarily stunned by how cold he is. My mind clouds over and now it’s just us. I don’t care about the murder, I don’t care about my parents, and I don’t care about Scarlet.

He pulls away slightly. “Anthony, I know you have a last name,” James whispers. “Why don’t you tell me what it is?” He runs a finger over my lips and then down my neck. His touch is cool and feather light, tracing invisible designs on my skin as

I shudder. “Rush.” I practically breathe the word out.

“Anthony Rush,” James whispers as our lips meet again. It feels amazing. I feel like I’m floating; I don’t have a care in the world. He slides his tongue in my mouth and explores it. I grab him by his black shirt and pull him closer to me. Not enough of our skin is touching. One of his hands is on my hip, snaking its way under my shirt; and the other hand is in my hair, holding me close to him. I moan and I can feel his smile as he breaks away and moves to my neck again. It is just as mind-blowing as yesterday, if not better, to have James mouthing at my neck. He breaks away, and I’m panting. Reality comes crashing back down on me way too soon.

“Why do you keep doing that?” I demand.

He smiles and he strokes my cheek gently his touch is soft and makes my skin tingle in pleasure.

I slap his hand away, finally in control again. “Don’t you like it?” he asks and smiles at me. I return his smile with a glare. “I really like you,” he says as he grins at me. There’s something about his smile that’s off. There’s something different about it, but my mind just can’t grasp what it is. There’s something screaming at me, telling me what it is, but I can’t find the information. It’s like the thing in James’ smile is being covered up in my head and I can’t remove the cover no matter how hard I try.

As much as I hate to abandon that nagging feeling in my head that there’s something horribly wrong here (other than that fact that I’m letting a complete stranger and possible killer kiss me) I have to ask him the question on my mind. “Last night at the park,” I finally say. My mind cheers because I’m finally able to do something without my mind fogging over, “Were you involved in the murder?”

“Just as much as you were,” he says as he smirks at me.

“What does that mean?” I ask. But he’s gone.

What does he mean that he’s just as involved as I am? I was in the park but I didn’t kill anyone. I’m just going to assume that means James isn’t involved. I really don’t want to know if he’s a killer.