chapter twenty

-20-

I leave, glad the door’s unlocked, and I go to Alex’s house as fast as I can, holding my breath the whole way there. I have a few hours until sunrise so I have plenty of time. His parent’s car isn’t in the driveway so I just knock on the door. I hear Alex near the door and take a breath before he opens it. I can smell him already and I want him. My instincts are telling me that that I need to hunt him. I push off the instincts as much as I can.

“Anthony?” Alex asks. “It’s three in the morning. What are you doing here?”

“I need to talk to you,” I tell him. Oh my god, he smells so fucking good.

“Okay,” Alex says as he lets me inside. I know I won’t be able to talk to him long. “Are you okay?” he asks me. “What happened earlier?”

“You remember that guy that said he was my cousin?” I ask Alex.

“Yeah,” he says cautiously.

“Well he was a vampire.” Alex raises an eyebrow.

“A vampire? Anthony, are you sure?”

“I’m positive.” I close my eyes and focus on my canines growing into fangs. The scent of Alex’s blood makes it easier but it hurts a little bit when they extend. I grab a decorative metal dish from a side table and I bite into it, poking holes and denting the metal easily. “He made me one,”

“What?”

“When I’d randomly vanish, he would feed off me, and after awhile, he’d fed off me to the point where I was part vampire and he would either have to kill me or turn me. I know it sounds crazy, but you have to believe me.”

“This is kind of hard to handle, Anthony, you have to know that,” Alex says as he leans against the wall.

“I know, but he was the one that killed Christopher and he’s the one killing all those people.” I know that I’ve killed people and the people I’ve fed on probably ended up dying too, but I don’t tell Alex that.

“So he was the one that killed your dad?” Alex asks me.

What?”

“That’s why we were so worried about you. Your dad died and you go missing. He was found dead the other night and…” Alex hesitates. “People are starting to think that you might be the killer. It was either you died or you’re the killer, one of the two. Drew was starting to think it was you too.”

“I would never kill anyone,” I lie, knowing that I’m going to kill more people, that I’ve already killed people. “Alex, you have to promise me that if I kill anyone I know that you’ll kill me,” I say stonily.

“So you want to drag me into this too?”

“Alex, I’m dangerous, you can’t let me lose control.”

“I don’t know,” he says, “This is kind of hard to get my head around.”

“I need you to think about it.” I plead.

“Okay,” Alex says solemnly.

“I’m going to kill James and I need you to make stakes so I can do it and to have them if I kill anyone. You need to figure out how to make them and have them ready.”

“When are you going to kill him?” Alex asks me.

“When he goes too far,” I tell Alex. I need to leave.

“It looks like he’s gone too far already.” Alex says. I know he’s right. I need to kill James soon. Part of me doesn’t want to though; I know he can’t control some things. But he had to have known what he was doing when he killed my dad. I have a reason to kill him now. He knowingly killed my dad, and I have a vendetta against him.