Epilogue

Epilogue

It’s dark outside and the weather is bleak. The cold rain falls from the sky like heavy teardrops, soaking through my jacket.

  This is my last stop before I leave Luxford forever. I don’t plan on coming back here again. There’s a reason why I’m leaving. I look at all the stones, lined up, bodies buried underneath a few of them. Bodies of people I knew and loved.

  I run my hand across the last three stones, all lined up next to each other. One of them has my name on it. All three of the stones have the same last names engraved on them. The death dates all within a month of each other. My house was burnt down and we got someone to say I died in the wreckage. My body was never found. The lot where my house was is now for sale.

  Raindrops drip down my face like tears. As much as I want to cry right now, I can’t. I don’t feel the grief and no matter how much I would want to cry, I’d never be able to. I stare at the graves and pretend I can feel pain for all the losses. I leave flowers on all the graves, and walk slowly back to my car.

  I look at the town for a while. I had amazing friends here and a family that loved me, even if they had a weird way of showing it. My life was ruined here. I lost my humanity and became a monster. I watched my friends die and killed two of them. I fell in love with a monster and killed him. This is where I became a murderer and everything was ruined. I’m done here. The town of Luxford has seen enough damage.

  I start driving and when I reach the Pennsylvania border I stop for a few seconds and debate looking back. I force myself to look forward as I leave everything behind. This is the death of my old life.

This is the new beginning of Anthony Rush.