Chapter Five

It felt a bit odd just going back to school after everything that had happened. Noriaki had spent weeks travelling and fighting so many stand users, and now... everything was supposed to be normal? As much as he kept trying to reassure himself that things were safe now that DIO was gone, he couldn't help but take a suspicious eye to every corner he passed. He wondered if it was like this for the others, too. Had they adjusted to life without the constant threat of death? When they met someone new, did their minds still immediately turn to suspicions that this person was trying to trick them?

With Polnareff back in France, Avdol staying with him for the time being, and Mr. Joestar having returned to New York City, there was almost nobody to whom he could talk about this. There was Jotaro, but as much as Noriaki wanted to see him, he just as strongly wanted to avoid him. Perhaps it was best for him to accept that he could never be understood. It was better not to try for anything instead of trying only to be met with inevitable loneliness.

At the very least, he and Jotaro didn't have class together. That should make him easy enough to avoid; he'd just have to not linger, entering and leaving his classroom as quickly as possible and staying there during breaks. He just had to hold out one more month, and then he wouldn't risk running into JoJo any more; after all the time he'd spent on that adventure and then in a coma, there wasn't much time left until the end of March, when every student in Japan rejoiced at the end of another school year. Even more than this being the end of his final year in school, Noriaki still had more reason than most to look forward to it. He could move on. He would never have to see that Jotaro Kujo again.

He knew how weak his heart was for him, though. Although he could make himself cold to JoJo once they were no longer in such close proximity, that wouldn't be possible now. Even a glance would be enough to make Noriaki unable to stop thinking about what was like to stare deeply into those eyes before kissing him. He knew that if Jotaro were to approach him and ask him out somewhere, he wouldn't be able to stop himself from saying yes and falling deeper and deeper in love.

As he walked down the staircase on his way to the school, he remembered the day when he met Jotaro. Even though he'd long ago mastered his control of Hierophant Green without needing to use drawing to direct its movements any more, he'd still decided to paint JoJo to direct that slash Hierophant had landed on his leg. It's just for precision, he'd justified it to himself at the time. To think he'd been attracted ever since then... He had been so naïve about his own feelings.

The school grounds were crowded during this time of the day just before classes began, and Noriaki hoped to be able to hide himself among the masses of students as he made his way to his classroom, keeping JoJo from spotting him. He kept his head down as much as he could. Not having familiarized himself with the building before the Egypt trip had begun, this wasn't much possible. He kept looking around for his classroom, not knowing where it was but not daring to ask for help for fear that Jotaro would hear his voice. Already his plans were facing difficulties. By now, most students were in their classrooms, and he still hadn't even found his.

Finally, he spotted it. He glanced around him, seeing only unfamiliar faces—no JoJo. Relieved, he joined his class, finding his classmates staring at him in shock. Ah, right. They must be pretty surprised seeing the new kid who'd shown up for one day only to disappear for months on end. Would they talk about it? If they did, word was sure to spread which class he was in, and Jotaro would definitely find out. What if Jotaro used this to find Kakyoin at school? Damnit.

The girl next to him leaned over and tapped his desk to get his attention. "Welcome back," she said, smiling. "Hey, what was your name again?"