five

— 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄
( 𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘉𝘌𝘎𝘐𝘕𝘕𝘐𝘕𝘎. )

AFTER THE COUNCIL HAD CONCLUDED, the newfound members of the Fellowship returned to their quarters

AFTER THE COUNCIL HAD CONCLUDED, the newfound members of the Fellowship returned to their quarters... packing their belongings and preparing for the long journey ahead. Elamir brushed her long auburn hair behind her ears as it fell before her eyes. She had changed into her more practical clothing, a light tunic with thick layers and leather boots. As she packed the remainder of her things, a light knock sounded from the heavy door to the room. It was her brother, standing in the doorway with an unreadable expression upon his face.

Elamir sighed, turning away from him and closing her pack, "Have you come to apologize, Boromir?"

"Apologize?" Boromir scoffed, crossing his arms and leaning against the nearby wall. "Pray tell... for what, sister?"

Elamir ceased her work and faced him fully, "For ignoring me. For having the audacity to suggest that we use the Ring of Power. You act as if the only reason you agreed to join this Fellowship is for the glory of Minas Tirith, not for the quest's true purpose."

"I was thinking practically, Elamir," Boromir explained with annoyance, walking closer to his sister. "Do you not see it? What we can accomplish with that weapon? We can save Middle Earth, and restore the greatness that Gondor once held!"

"Did you hear nothing of what Lord Elrond and Gandalf said?" Elamir asked incredulously. "The destruction and deception that they spoke of? Did you not hear the ranger?"

"Oh, so you trust him, do you?" Boromir asked. "The man who claims to be the rightful heir to our kingdom? To my throne?"

Elamir froze, shocked at her brother's words. He was unrecognizable. What had come over him, she did not know. She muttered lowly, "Ever since we left the walls of our home, you've changed. If you stood in my place, you'd be shocked at what I see before me."

Boromir stared at Elamir, wordlessly, not knowing how to respond. Although he did not understand, he saw the devastation in his sister's eyes. So he turned to leave the room, but halted in the doorway. He looked over his shoulder, but their eyes did not lock.

"I know not what you see in me," Boromir began, speaking quietly. All malice had left him. "... but I am still your brother."

Elamir's eyes softened. She did not know what it was that changed him, but the way he had looked at the ring not an hour before... some evil had already begun to take hold of him. Before she could respond, however, Boromir was already gone. She sighed, looking down at the pack of her belongings- the ones she had brought from her home. It pained her to think how long it would be before she returned; how long it would be before she saw her little brother again. But this quest was one to save all of Middle Earth from certain doom... she didn't have a choice. She had to do this.