Chapter 15: Flutter

"Baby come here! Hurry!" I called out from the bedroom. Kevin rushed into the room. "You okay," he asked concernedly. "What's wrong?" I looked up at him and grinned. "I just felt her move." I reached for his hand and placed it on my belly. Kevin's mouth slowly formed into a grin. "Oh my goodness," he smiled. "You feel her," I asked giddily. He whispered the word 'yeah' and moved closer to me for a better view of my belly. "Hey baby girl. It's daddy," he whispered to her. When she moved in response to his voice Kevin was thrilled. He continued to talk to her. "I can't wait to meet you. We are going to have so much fun when you get here." Our baby girl's little body fluttered a second time. Kevin's eyes began to water. "Babe, listen. I don't care what that paternity test says. She's my daughter." I quickly looked up at him. "You really mean that," I asked hopefully. Kevin slowly got up from the bed and grinned at me. "Yeah. She's mine. I can feel it." Nothing could hide the smile on my face. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him in for a hug. "Thank you for trusting me," I whispered.
   After our embrace Kevin sat on the bed beside me and grabbed my hand. He looked like he wanted to ask me something. "Baby what's up?" I questioned as I rubbed my belly. Kevin spoke up. "I know I haven't checked in lately. It's been a lot going on with Mad House, trynna get acquainted with their team, tryna focus on my own art. I've been swamped, ya know? But I wanna know how you doing...I mean since finding out everything about your mom. You don't really talk about it and I understand why, but you can talk to me. You don't have to go through this by yourself." I leaned forward and sighed. "It's been hard," I admitted as I fought back tears. "Somedays I wish everything could just go back to normal, ya know? It's crazy to look back on everything and realize that nothing will ever be the same again." Kevin gave a light sigh. "Yeah. Your mom really did a number on us didn't she?" I looked down. "Yeah, but so did I," I said fiddling with my hands. "I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, huh?" I looked up at Kevin, my mouth ready to form the words 'I'm sorry' once again. "Baby, stop apologizing," Kevin said before I could get the words out. He looked me in my eyes. "I forgive you. Now you need to forgive yourself. You can't keep living in the past." A tear rolled down my face. "Okay?" He replied. I wiped my face and sniveled the word okay. "Alright. Bring it in," Kevin smiled as he pulled me into a hug. "I didn't mean to have you in here crying," he replied. I laughed. "It's fine. I'm fine. We're fine." I pulled away from him and smiled. "That's my girl," he said kissing my forehead. Kevin stood from the bed and pulled me up with him. "I gotta taste for some Hibachi. You down to eat?" I smiled. "Pshh. Is that even a question?" I teased. "I'm putting my shoes on now!" Kevin laughed and smacked my butt before walking away to do the same. I laughed and playfully swatted him away.
..
   As we stood in the line at Kevin's favorite Hibachi spot I looked around the small restaurant and spotted two familiar faces. "Omg baby," I said in Kevin's ear, "don't look now, but look at the third booth to your right." After a few seconds went by he looked. "Is that Janelle and---"

"Terrance," I said cutting him off. I smiled giddily. "You know what I want, right? I think I'm gonna go say hi." Kevin grabbed my arm in an attempt to stop me. "Nuh unh Lys," he smiled. "Stay out of their business. Don't go over there starting stuff." I chuckled. "Baby please," I said turning back to him, "stuff has already been started," I grinned. Kevin knew I couldn't be talked out of going over there, so he let my arm go. "I'll be back."

I sashayed over to Janelle and Terrance who were completely unaware that I was closing in on them. They were sitting quite cozily in their booth. "Terrance! What are you doing here so far from home?" I said while grinning at Janelle. Janelle blushed as her secret unfolded right before my eyes. She was busted and she knew it, though she tried not to show it. "What are you doing here without Kevin," Janelle asked redirecting all of the attention onto me. "This is one of his favorite spots. I know he wouldn't let you come here alone," she teased. "Girl please. He's in line." I placed a hand on my belly and rubbed it slowly. "So why don't you go find your way back over there," Janelle joked. "Oop. Okay. I know not to stay where I'm not wanted," I teased. "We'll talk later," I said winking at Janelle. Alright T," I said patting his shoulder, "Behave." Terrance chuckled. "Always. See ya Lys. Love you." "Love you," Janelle called out behind me. I placed my hand on my belly again as she moved a second time. "Love y'all too!" I said over my shoulder and made my way towards the pickup line.

   When I got back in line Kevin side-eyed me and playfully shook his head. "Why you can't just let people be?" I played innocent. "What? I didn't do nothing." Kevin cut his eye at me. "What? I didn't. I just went to say hey." Kevin looked at me. "Alyssa." I stood in front of him. "Kevin." His face broke into a grin. You're a trip." I grinned and tugged on his shirt. "That's the reason you love me," I said as I leaned in to give him a kiss. "246!" The cashier called out. That was our order. Kevin moved ahead in line and handed the guy his card. Once the transaction was completed he grabbed the food and headed to the counter to grab a few carry-out items. On our way out he nodded to Terrance and Janelle. "See that's how you supposed to be," he advised, "Discreet." I gasped. "I know how to be discreet," I said playfully rolling my eyes. "Alyssa, no you don't," he laughed. "Have you met you?" Kevin teased. "Whatever," I laughed as we slid into the car. "You always trynna come for me and I'm just trynna figure out why!" I joked. Kevin laughed. "Hold on babe. Hold on," he said as his phone rung in his pocket. Lee's caller ID popped up on the screen. I looked at Kevin. "Uh. Why is Lee calling you and why does he have your number?" He kept his eyes on his phone. "Mena gave it to him." I laughed in disbelief. "Since when is Mena in cahoots with Lee?" He looked at me for a quick second. "Does Amber ring a bell?" Kevin asked just before answering the phone. I sat back in my seat and waited anxiously for the call to finish. When it did Kevin looked concerned. "What's wrong," I quickly asked. He looked at me, his face unchanging.

"The paternity test is in."
...