Chapter 17: Gotchu

"Lys all you gotta do is say the word and I will drop her ass!" Josh said plopping down on his couch.
   "All you wanna do is fight," Janelle teased.
   "Listen Nel, it's been a while." I raised my brow and cocked my head to the side.
   "Since you last fought somebody?" I questioned.
   "Yeah! I've been trying to chill, but it's clear bitches want me to fight them and that dusty crusty bitch Amber is begging me to," he said matter-of-factly. Janelle and I looked at each other and burst out laughing.
   "I can't take him," Janelle said to me.
   "Girl, me either!" I laughed.
   "Laugh if you want to, but my hands have been itching lately and if I see her and she look at me crazy I'm starting some shit!"
I sighed at his comment. "Josh stop, okay. Please don't fight nobody. Amber got connects out the wazoo and I don't want her trying nothing crazy with you."
Josh gave me a look. "Lyssa. Let me tell you something," he said sliding up to the edge of his seat, "I am not anybody she wanna mess with. Anytime she tries you, she tries me. I will never be above whooping somebody's ass if it's for the people that I love."
   "Aw Josh. I think that was the sweetest thing you ever said to me."
   "And I mean every word," Josh laughed, "I gotchy'all."
Janelle jokingly dabbed under her eyes. "Uh. Not to be that girl," she sniffed, "but this. Sort of feels like a group hug moment," she started, "so imma just—" Janelle stood up.
   "Unh uh. Don't you come over here with that shit J," Josh protested. I got up after her and together we bombarded him on the couch.
"We love yooou!" We yelled.
"Y'all make me so sick!" Josh teased. "Imma pay y'all back for this."
Janelle and I couldn't contain our laughter. I was so happy in that moment. It felt good to know that I had friends that I could count on.
..
A few hours later back at my apartment I was surprised to see a text from Dominic. I hadn't spoken to him in months. I wonder what he wants I thought to myself. I swiped open my phone and clicked the text notification. "Hey Alyssa. How are you," the text read, "I was hoping that we could get together and have lunch sometime. Or dinner. I miss you." I leaned back into the couch and contemplated on what to say. After a few minutes passed by I decided to tell him that I was good and that I would love to meet up one day this week if he was available. "Great! How about this evening? I'll text you the address," I read unenthused. "Dang! I didn't mean this soon," I huffed. I turned the screen off and set my phone on the coffee table.
Kevin walked out into the living room and joined me on the couch. "What's wrong with you?" He asked. I inched my way over to him and wrapped his arm around my body. I leaned into his chest and sighed.
"Dominic just texted. He wants to have dinner with me this evening."
Kevin looked at me. "That's great! You haven't seen him in a while." I made a face. Kevin gave me a confused look back. "Why aren't you more excited?"
I sighed. "Don't get me wrong I want to see him, I just don't know if I can keep the truth about Ángel away from him. If I had a few days notice I could come up with a plan or something to keep anything related to my mom from coming up, but let's face it he thinks Ángel is his and when it comes to my mother he's the definition of hopelessly in love."
Kevin shrugged his shoulders. "Then don't go. Reschedule for a day that works for you." I sighed and leaned back into his chest.
   "No, if he wants to meet with me this quickly something's awry. So, I'm just gonna go like a good daughter and make the best of it." Kevin kissed the side of my face. "Don't worry everything will be fine," he reassured me.
   "I hope so," I uttered quietly.
A few moments later when everything began to fall silent I looked up at Kevin. "Our results should be in by tomorrow. Are you nervous?"
He looked down at me. "The truth?" He questioned.
I nodded my head. "Yeah. The truth."
   "Okay," he huffed, then he paused. "I'm a little nervous."
I adjusted my body to look at him. "You are?" I asked with a hint of surprise.
"Yeah. I'm just afraid that if she's not mine Lee will try to keep her from me. Ain't no telling what lengths he'll go through to make our lives a living hell."
I grabbed ahold of Kevin's hand. "Well, I have faith that everything will work out. He's not even gonna lay eyes on her."
Kevin looked down at me with hope in his eyes. "I love you," he said before planting a soft kiss on my lips, "and I want you to be my wife." He sealed it with two more gentle kisses. I felt butterflies and goosebumps everywhere and the faint flutter of our babygirl cheering us on. That moment, though short, was complete bliss.
...