Chapter Twenty-Five

I run my hand through my hair for the millionth time making sure my report for the file is correct for my presentation tomorrow and the day after. I sigh, laying back in my seat.

Then, I hear a ping from my phone and Lino's name comes up. I smile instantly.

8:21pm
Lino : How's work treating you?

8:22pm
Catalina : I regret starting a job. Come save me 😫

I wait for a few more seconds then lean over to drink some coffee.
I turn the AC up a little and take off my jacket, staying in my white silk sleeveless shirt.

8:26pm
Lino : I'm looking for my keys. Hold on

My eyes pop open and a surge of fear drives through me. I quickly type.

8:26pm
Catalina : Babe I was kidding! Don't come, I have to finish work.

8:28pm
Lino: I'm kidding too lol. You want me to spice things up a little for you?

8:29pm
Catalina: Don't tempt me babe.

Lino: What are you wearing?

Catalina: You're impossible! 🙄
Lino: 😂

Just then, a soft knock emits from the door and Charlie's head peeks through. I smile. What a pleasant surprise.

Lino: Chula, you there?

Cataina: Baby, my co-worker just came in. I'm gonna get this done and come home soon ok

He responded almost immediately.

Lino: Okay. Come home to me safely. Love you.

Catalina: I will, love you too. 😘

"Why are you smiling?"

I look up, not realizing I was and quickly wiped the smile from my face. "Uh sorry. What's up"

Charlie smiles and sits by the desk holding a bag of burgers in his hand. My face lights up and I excitedly take a bag. "You brought food, thank you!"

He opened his bag and handed me a fork. I took it and opened up my food, digging in. After a while we sat in comfortable silence, doing our work when Charlie sighed loudly and sat back in his seat. I looked up at him expectantly and reach over for a drink of water.

"So tell me something, Catalina?"

"Yeah?" I can already tell it's something personal by the way his eyes are everywhere but on mines.

"Why him?"

His comment was so unexpected, so far from what we were doing, I just stared at him open mouthed. My brain formulated no thoughts other than to register that I was shocked. He closed his mouth, then looked at his toes before glancing back up to catch my eyes. "Why are you asking me this," was all I could say.

"It's just that ... You're amazing and nice. He's anything but-"
"Don't you dare say it. You don't know him enough to be making those assumptions"

"Catalina, he beat me up because I gave you a lift when you were walking alone", he defends.
'We were going through a rough time-"
"He threatened me to kill me."
"Because he's-"
"Stop making excuses for him!" He yells. I clenched my jaw, getting annoyed.

He didn't stop though, he kept talking about Lino.

"I just don't get how a beautiful, smart, nice woman like you fell for a worthless, trashy, no-good thug like him! He's not even half as worth of your love like the other guys out there who actually care for you-"