sweet dreams

seven year old eddie hopped in bed, pulling the covers up to his chin as his mother brought a chair next to him.

"would you like to hear a bed time story?" she asked sweetly, a book in her hands.

eddie nodded.

sonia smiled, her eyes glistening as she set the book on the night table. "i can remember this one from memory."

"what's it called, mommy?" eddie asked, curious at how he had never heard this one before.

"it's called Montauk, my dear one, and its the story of a little boy just like you."

eddie smiled, his eyes wide open. "was his name eddie too?"

sonia chuckled and shook her head. "his name was marty and he was the smartest student in his school. everyone always told him he was different, that he wasn't like everyone else. but, is it really a bad thing to be unique?

marty's mother was ashamed at how her son turned out. she wanted him to be normal. the poor boy didn't understand why she hated him so. but, i suppose, she had a good reason.

you see, eddiebear, marty, at first, misused his gift. he took it for granted. he used it to make trees grow, to make butterflies appear, to make children dream wonderful dreams.."

eddie interrupted her. "but, mommy, how was that selfish? it sounds amazing."

sonia shook her head. "that wasn't what his gift was meant for, my child. his soul craved darkness, it craved the fear of others. he was led in the wrong direction but thankfully for him, something pushed him in the right one.

one day, marty was out late at night, experimenting with his gift. he was practicing with the trees. he wanted to make them all green and healthy. but one tree, was the exception.

he got bored of doing the same thing over and over. he wanted to try something new. so marty used another part of his gift. a part that he didn't even know existed. the part that darkness had touched."

"but how did marty get his gift?" eddie asked, interrupting again.

sonia ribbed her temples. "he was born with it, edward. now stop cutting me off and listen to the story."

eddie lost his smile. "sorry, mommy."

"anyhow, marty shaped the tree into something spectacular. he used so much of his magic that a part of him linked to the world he created."

eddie opened his mouth to ask a question but sonia glared at him and he thought better of it.

"he made the tree a portal into the other realm. before, he had only created light and love. but now, he created darkness and hate. he was so terrified at what he made that he ran home and pretended like it never happened. he tried to be as normal as he could in school and for the next five years, he forgot about the tree.

but it was still there. and when he was 20 years old, he remembered. he went back to it and tried to use his gifts again. they were weak from suppressing them. marty wasn't sure if he would be able to use them again.

nevertheless, he explored the world he had created. it was more horrifying than he thought. there was only darkness in that world, and monsters. it was almost a replica of ours, but more wrong.

marty hated it so much that he became a scientist and tried his best to close the gate to that realm. after five years, he was able to. he thought everything to do with that world was over. but it wasn't.

there were rumors of kids with abilities like his. he was scared that they too, would create such worlds as he did. he was restless for many nights until he was able to collect them.

he learned about them, their gifts. each one was unique. each child could do a different thing. martin was amazed by them and their powers. he hadn't planned on keeping them alive but now he figured they could be of use.

many years passed and martin began to wonder about the world he created. maybe it wasn't so bad. so he began trying to open the gate again. none of the children were strong enough to complete this task. this discouraged martin. he wished he had never closed the gate.

but then, he had a vision of a little girl named jane. she would be the one to finally open the gate. the only bad thing was, she hadn't been born yet. so martin had to wait, but don't fret, it wasn't for too long.

he found her mother and was able to take the child before any complications occurred. martins magic didn't go away completely but he wasn't able to use it on command. he only had brief visions of the future and of what lay hidden in his realm."

sonia leaned forward and kissed her son on the forehead. "time for bed now, goodnight."

eddie frowned. "but the story didn't end yet. what happened to martin? and jane? did he ever open the gate to the other realm?"

"you're right, eddiebear, the story doesn't have an end yet. but martin knows that once jane has mastered her power, she'll be able to open the gate successfully. just a few more years and i'll be able to tell you what happened. now, sweet dreams my child." she put the chair away and turned off the light, closing the door behind her.

sweet dreams.