-6- stars in the night sky

"Lie down," Juleka ordered, placing a damp cloth onto my forehead, "get some rest."

"I told you I'm fine, Jul. Plus it's- it's embarrassing." 

"It's not."

I tried getting up, but Juleka shoved me back down, "C'mon," I complained, "I need to drive us back today too."

She stood up, reaching for the doorknob, "I'm going to bring in some soup and I'm driving today, that's final."

---

"You can't drive, Jul. You're inexperienced."

"And you're sick, you really want to argue with me now?" she said, throwing our stuff into the back seat of the truck.

"I was just a little light-headed, I still can drive,"

She opened the shotgun seat for me, clearly not listening. I sighed, dragging my feets onto the truck, I felt weird not driving.

She comfortably sat herself beside me, turning the key and placing her palms on the wheel, "Chill, we'll be fine." she reassured, "I'm a qualified driver."

5 minutes into the drive, she was already driving faster than me, trying to speed through every red light, stepping on the pedal like it was some type of racing game.

"Steady," I told her, "You're driving too fast."

"Go to sleep," she snapped, "I can handle myself."

And like the irresponsible brother I am, I fell asleep.

----

"Luka? Luka! Are you okay?" Juleka shook my arm as I jerked up from my seat.

"Wha-- what's going on?"

"Oh thank god," she put her hand over her eyes in relief, "I thought something was wrong."

I looked out from the window, the driveway of our house, "We-'ve reached."

"Yeah," she put the back of her palm on my forehead, "Your temperature went down, but you still have a little fever."

"Uh-huh," I opened the car door and jumped off, taking my luggage out from the back seat, throwing Juleka's duffle bag to her.

She locked the car with a beep, using the key to unlock the front door, "Stay in your room until your fever completely dies off."

I grunted, heading to my room and flopped onto the bead, flipping open my laptop, a notification popped up from my screen.

''Stars in the night sky' event, searching for performers. Send in video proposal for audition before 2nd March 2020, chosen performers will be emailed rehearsal time and location."

"Jul!" I called, "Jul! Come here!"

Juleka bursted into my room, "What?"

I turned over the screen for her to see, "The mayor is holding another big event for this year, and they're searching for performers."

"So?"

"Do you think we can qualify in it? With your classmates?"

She crossed her hands , "You're kidding. We just practised for one freaking time and you want us to audition for a huge event next month, it's crazy."

"Do you think we can try?"

"It's impossible, Luka. There's people who practised together for years and years, and we're just highschool students, we just can't."

"We can if we put in the effort, practise everyday after school, hang out on weekends, we can do it."

She sat down on my desk, "We can audition next year, when we're ready."

"I don't think I'll still be living here next year, Jul. When I was playing that one song with you guys, it felt-- perfect. It's always been my dream to be in a rock band, I've longed to perform in front of people, but this opportunity is one that I can never pass up, please Juleka, for me."

She seemed to have made up her mind right on the spot, "Composing the song, the lyrics all in one month, can you handle it?"

"Yes." I answered confidently.

"I'll talk with the others," she nodded, "For you."

I stood up and gave her a tight hug, "Thanks, Jul. You're amazing."

She managed a smiled, "Don't get me sick too," she joked, "plus, don't you remember? I owed you one."

She left the room and I looked at my laptop once again, I can't wait.