10 : Okinawa

Okinawa, October 1045:

It was the beginning of October 1945, K company  were back on the front line, this time in Okinawa.
Evangeline had received a little  more firearm training whist she was at base camp thanks to Shelton letting slip about the two soldiers  she had shot in Pelilu, and now had her  own pistol.
She wished  to be  back on Pavuv, missing the dry dusty paths and the rotting coconut smell as they  were now trudging through mud and shit filled holes.
As K Company were walking, a herd of local women and children from the nearby village were passing through.
One little boy who looked about 8 years old stood in the middle of the two different moving groups. Evangeline  smile slightly at him as she  caught his  eye, he scowled back at her and ran back over to his grandmother who was struggling to carry everything she now owned thanks to the army's attack.

Pursing her lips Evangeline carried on walking with Shelton, Eugene,Burgin and a new marines who had joined us.
"Are those Jap prisoners ?" One of the new marines asked.
"No' Eugene spoke
"On account we don't take prisoners" Burgin said walking ahead.
An explosion rocketed above  making the new marines duck.
"Hey take it easy those are outgoing" Bill Layden spoke rolling his eyes at them.
He a joined K company again after his wounds had finally healed to the surprise of Evangeline, Shelton and Eugene  when he came bounding into the  tent at 03;00 last week giving them all heart attacks.
"They're okinawites" Evangeline said looking at the people passing by.
"They look like fuckin japs" One of the new marines sat glaring at them.
"Shut the fuck up Kathy" Shelton growled hitting 'kathy' on the helmet with his elbow. "Don't you hear good?, they're Okinawites"
"Fuck off" 'kathy' spat back making Shelton glare into the back of his head.
"What'd you say boo?"he seethed.
Kathy turned round and squinted his eyes at Shelton, "the names Peck. Tony Peck".
"Hey pecker" Bill called out trying to wind Peck up, " let me see the picture of your wife again... she's beautiful"
"Thanks" Peck replied unsure of what else to say.
"Yeah, I need something to jerk off to - she's perfect" Bill continued as Pecks face dropped and he walked on in disgust as Bill continued to mimic what it would be like to sleep with Pecks wife.
"Bet you miss the damn coconut smell now, hey Gene?" Evangeline chuckled. Eugene smirked back staying quiet as they marched along with the group.
"To right" he mumbled, looking over at each other before almost slipping  over, thankfully catching himself making the small group  chuckle as he turned red.
——————————————————————————————————————-

K company  continued to walk when they came across three Japanese soldiers who were sat on the trail. They had been taken prisoner by the army.
"Look what we have here" Burgin pointed out as the marines infront  began to taunt them.
" I though you said we didn't take prisoners?"Peck asked.
"They're Army prisoners" Evangeline called back " don't look at them".
The marines around them scoffed at her input. One of them spat on the prisoner and taunted him some more.
The man shot up, shouting after him in Japanese, he now stood in the way.
"Outta the way Hirohito" Shelton seethed. The man turned around. Standing directly infront of him, Shelton stood to Evangeline's  left, Bill and Burgin behind her  and Eugene to her right.
"Shelton leave him" She hummed pushing his gun down, just wanting to get to where ever the hell they were being lead.
"Sit down" she said turning round to face the man once again. Slightly pleading him to move so neither of the company nor the prisoners would get hurt.
The man started to yell spat in Evangeline's  face.

"Move you bastard!" Shelton yelled back at him as the others now had their rifles raised towards him.
Without warning, still shouting  the man swung his arm in anger,  catching Evangeline across the face  busting her lip.
"Shoot him!" Someone shouted trying to edge the boys on.

Eugene began to push forward, "sit down!" He pushed the man to the floor and everyone started to yell at him again telling him to stay down.

"Shoot him!" Someone behind them yelled trying to rille up the boys to shoot the prisoners.