12 - Home

August 15th 1945- Okinawa, Ryukyu Island.

Flares danced and lit up the night sky as the marines celebrated the end of the Pacific war.

"Can you believe it Yoet?" Bates grinned pulling Her into a hug as they  stood in the medic tent. it was mostly empty apart from the odd marine who had partied to hard already.

"its over!, we won!"

Evangeline  chuckled slightly hugging him back, "it seems so!" she squealed as he picked her up and swing her round in a circle. once he put her down he thrust his old medic book into her hands demanding that she write her address down so that they could still keep in touch once he got home. 

Handing him back his book She  picked up the bottle of wine that he had left on the floor and watched as a few marines stormed in a dragged him away to party with them.

Running her hand through my cleanish hair that wasn't tied up for once, She span on her heel and walked across the camp away from the partying marines to where Eugene, Shelton and Burgin were sat, on top of jeep watching the celebrations unfold.

"You see that line of stars angling up?" She heard Shelton say, standing up on the hood of the jeep pointing at the sky.

"yep?" Burgin replied with a fresh cigarette between his teeth.

"That's Snafu's pecker"Shelton smirked drunkenly, sitting back down giggling.

"It looks pretty small from where I'm standing" She called out chuckling at the three introverted boys.

"Yoet" Burgin nodded, Eugene and Shelton just smiled in her direction.

Burgin grabbed her  hand and helped her clamber up to the roof of the jeep, She squeezed herself in-between Shelton and Burgin and in-front of Eugene.
whist taking a swing out of the wine bottle and passing it around the small group, Mac stumbled up to them..

"hey" he slurred.
"you've got a nice party going on down their Lieutenant" Evangeline hummed lighting her own cigarette.
"ah- a little victory party- can't believe its over huh?" he staggered around slightly, trying to Stand still in one spot. "kind of like, what do we do now?"
"yeah I guess" Eugene replied
"Here, have a little V-J party of your own" Mac said handing Burgin a bottle of whiskey and walking back to the rowdy group of marines.

"Thanks Lieutenant" Eugene called out after him.

"what do we do now?" Shelton scoffed as he looked out onto the groups of men. "what an idiot".
"well" Burgin mused opening the whisky bottle with a satisfying pop, " I'll show you what I'm doing now". He took a long drink and then handed it to Shelton.

As the three boys conversed and passed drinks around, Evangeline couldn't help but think about what Mac said.

"what do we do now?" she mumbled to herself leaning against Eugenes legs, looking up to the sky. Home is so close, where She'd been wanting to go back to  for the past 3 years, but she's not quite sure she wanted to leave  the boys just yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The train thundered down the tracks as Evangeline  struggled to keep her balance, trying to straighten her shirt collar.
She wore a white short sleeved with a Red Cross on the Brest pocket and on the sides of the sleeves.
Her  army green dress trousers on that were neatly tucked into her polished boots. Her  hair was tied into a bun.

After carefully placing her beret on her head she stumbled out of the toilet cubical and  was met with the sight of Shelton getting slapped across the face by a girl in a red floral Dress. She grumbled something before walking back to her seat with her friend.