Chapter 6: The Life

Jackson:

I turned when I heard Valentine and Frankie talking nearby, and since neither of them was being incredibly quiet I caught every word of their conversation. Once Valentine started walking over to me, I called, "She still doesn't trust you?"

"No, and while I don't blame her, I wish people could see that I've changed for the better," replied Valentine, "You're one of the only people at Monster High who does. But, no matter...not much I can do about it, I suppose. How are you doing?"

"I'm doing okay," I said, "What about you?"

"I've decided he's not worth responding to. I'll still show my mother the text he sent me earlier, but that's it," Valentine explained, and we started walking toward the main doors. "Hey, speaking of texting, can I add you on Facebook?"

"Yeah, sure," I replied, and gave him my Facebook information. We stopped just outside the doors so he could add me, and so I could accept the friend request.

"Thanks," said Valentine, putting his phone away once that was done. "I should probably get going."

"Yeah, me, too," I said, as we started walking again, "Holt has something going on later, so I want to chill for a bit before then."

"A gig?"

"Yeah. I'll see you tomorrow," I waved as I passed through the front gate. I saw him smile as he waved back, heading toward his car. The walk home was quiet as usual, and since I had no homework to worry about, my plan was just to relax until I had to let Holt out.

Sitting on the couch in the living room, I decided to check out Valentine's Facebook page out of curiosity, and when I got to it I noticed that there was just a 'K' instead of his first name, whatever it was. His profile picture was just a picture of his face, while his cover photo consisted of a multitude of roses. I also noticed that he didn't really post much. The only photos besides the two I mentioned were some of he and his mother, both on their own and together.

It's really close to his birthday, I thought, spotting the date. It would be on a Monday this year. It was also the month of Halloween, being October, and I sincerely hoped there wouldn't be any incidents like the one a couple years ago. I...I really didn't need that again, and neither did Holt.

Last year wasn't too horrible, but the tension between monsters and Normies hadn't gone away entirely. Most people were okay with us now, but there was still the sheriff and some others who still held their animosity towards us. The sheriff was fired after what happened that year, which didn't help with his hatred at all.

My dad chose that moment to walk in through the front door. "Hey, kid," he says, kicking off his shoes and putting them in front of the shoe rack.

"Hey, Dad," I returned the greeting, "Hey, just to make sure I didn't forget--did Holt or I mention he has plans later?"

"Yeah, Holt mentioned it last night. You're all good," replied Dad, "7:30, right? Where's your mom?"

"Probably still at work," I said, "and yeah."

"Figured she might be," he agreed. He sat on the couch next to me and searched for the remote. "Who are you talking to?"

"No one, I'm just checking my Facebook," I replied. He nodded in response, finding the remote hidden somewhere in the couch and turning on the TV.

"Speaking of your mom," said Dad, "She wasn't feeling too great this morning."

"She seemed fine to me," I said.

"Yeah, she didn't start feeling like that until sometime after you left. Hopefully she's okay now, though."

"I am kind of wondering why she didn't take the day off if she wasn't feeling well, but then..."

Dad laughed. "You know your mom. Hates missing work unless she has to."

"That's true," I nodded. Mom walked through the door a few minutes later, and she seemed to be okay by now. "Hi, Mom," I greeted, "How are you? Dad mentioned you weren't feeling well."

"Hi, Jackson," she said, "and don't worry, I'm fine now. I did get sick a couple of times at work but it's passed. How was school?"

"It was good," I said, "Not really much to talk about, to be honest, other than the fact that despite being it, Frankie hasn't tagged me or anyone else yet."

"I see," she said, putting her shoes on the shoe rack—rather than on the floor in front of it—and setting her purse down on the coffee table.

"You sure you're okay?" asked Dad, wanting to make sure.

"Yeah," said Mom, "although this isn't the first day I've had like this; it's been like that for a couple days now, but you had to go to work early and Jackson was gone to school before it started, so neither of you noticed until this morning. It's been worse in the morning than in the afternoon, though."

"Wish I'd have noticed sooner," said Dad.

"It's okay. To be honest, the only other time I've gotten like this was when I was pregnant with Jackson. That being said, I stopped at the drug store on my break and picked up a test."

"You think you might be pregnant?" asked Dad.

"Yes," said Mom. "Aidan...what if the test is positive? I mean—what do you think?"

"You mean aside from the fact that I'd be overjoyed?" replied Dad with a grin.

Mom smiled. "I would be, too."

"I do have a question, though," I interjected, "If it's positive and the baby turns out to have a Hyde side, like me...would you consider telling them about it at a-an earlier age than I was when I found out? I just—I feel like it would be easier for him or her if they were aware of it a little earlier on, that's all."

"That's a discussion your father and I will be having if the test is positive," said Mom, "I understand why you're asking though; I know keeping that from you and Holt for so long really wasn't the best choice."

"It's okay, Mom," I told her, "I'm over it now. It's been two years now; I should be."

"Speaking of Holt, you guys have to leave at 7:30, right?" asked Mom.

"Yeah, and I really hope Holt doesn't stay out too late this time," I replied.

"Well, do me a favour. Record a message on your phone and tell him he's to be home no later than 1:30 AM. You guys need your sleep."

"I'll do that," I said, and went upstairs to do just that.