Chapter 35: Forever Charmed

Kieran

Jackson and I announced our engagement to my mother about a week later and needless to say, she was thrilled for the both of us. "So how are you liking being engaged?"

"It's been pretty great," replied Jackson, "although realistically speaking, not too much has changed. Things have been pretty nice in general, I'd say."

I nodded in agreement. "Yeah, I'd have to say the same.

"I will warn you now, though," she informed us, "Now that you two are engaged, be prepared for the flood of family and friends who will be asking 'So, have you set a date yet' whenever you talk to them."

"Oh, trust me, I know that's coming. I'm a little surprised Lucas hasn't asked that very question," I remarked, just as Lucas himself entered the room.

"I've been trying to hold back on that question since I've been getting the exact same one about your mother and I," he replied as he sat down next to Mom on the couch opposite Jackson and I.

"Wait, you guys are engaged, too?" asked Jackson, "I didn't know that. Congratulations."

"Thanks," replied Lucas.

"I meant to tell you when I first found out," I admitted, "I must have forgotten. Can you ever forgive me?"

"Hell no," he joked, and I laughed.

Most of our friends were just as ecstatic when we told them we were getting married—everyone except for Frankie. She tried her best not to let that show, but I saw it anyway and I knew Jackson did too, because after everyone else had gone their separate ways he asked if he could speak to her.

"What about your fiancé?" she asked, "I get the feeling this conversation is meant to be private."

"It is, but I'd rather Kieran be a part of it, too," replied Jackson calmly, "Is there something on your mind? You seemed kind of upset when we told you guys the news."

"It's just..." Frankie struggled for words, "Of all the people you could have chosen, why does it have to be him?" she must have realized how jealous that sounded because she quickly added, "I mean—don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're happy and everything, it's just...I can't help but worry. It's Valentine. You know what he's done in his past; I just don't trust him."

However badly I wanted to, I decided not to intervene despite her words. I already knew how she felt toward me and nothing I did or said would change that.

"Frankie, I feel like we've been over this and I know you've been over this with Kieran before, too. It's not your choice and he changed years ago. Do you see me without a heart?"

"Well, no...but—"

"He's not going to do that to me, Frankie," Jackson continued, "he's not that person anymore. He would have done it already if he were."

Frankie sighed before getting to her feet. "Look, I don't want to start a fight," she said, "Congratulations on your engagement, you guys. I'm going to head home, okay?"

And with that she left.

It took us awhile before we actually set a date for the wedding, but we eventually decided to have it in the early autumn. We also thought it might be nice for it to take place outdoors, as at that point it wouldn't be too hot or too cold for anyone. Up until we actually set the date, though, my mother's prediction came true. All kinds of people kept asking us about it and were ecstatic when we finally had an answer for them.

We weren't planning on the wedding being overly elaborate, so Holt suggested we have it in a somewhat secluded spot near Epic Falls, an idea both Jackson and I greatly approved. It was one of Holt's favourite places to work on his music, and I understood why.It was a peaceful and beautiful place, and he had brought me here more than once over the years.