sweet spot

WOAHHHHHHH 🥵🥵🥵 thas all i have to say
by podcastalien on ao3

-

He didn't know what he would've wanted in a roommate if he had the room to think about it. But in the month since he started school, Eddie really started to miss having his own room.

He'd grown accustomed to privacy, even with the smothering nature of his mom, he always had a door to close on the rest of the world.

Now there was no secret space to dance cringely in or yell into a pillow or carry out his other ways of relieving stress.

His roommate, Alex, had proved to somewhat of a homebody. Choosing to do his homework in their room, never the library. Never going out to meet his friends, but sometimes bringing one over. He didn't have a job to go to like Eddie. Always sitting in his bed reading or hunched over at his desk doing a chem lab. He seemed to have classes at the same times Eddie did. Whenever he came to the room, there was Alex.

He wasn't a bad kid, or a bad person even. That's what was most frustrating to Eddie. The guy couldn't even give him something to be mad at besides his presence. Eddie felt like shit whenever irrational Irritation rose in his stomach at the sound of Alex asking how his day was.

He expressed these feelings to life long friend Richie Tozier one Friday night in Richie's single, honors floor dorm.

"He's just always there, asking me how I am and shit. He's so nice. I wish he would go away for just like five minutes." Eddie whined the last part, legs kicked up in the air as they laid on Richie's floor while he smoked.

"Eds," Richie started, rolling over into his stomach to face him, cigarette between two fingers, "We've had this conversation a million and half times since we started here."

"Well you only have to hear about it, Rich, sitting in your goddamn tower. It's a private paradise in here and most nights you're not even home to use it."

Richie shrugged his shoulders, "What can I say Eds, I get lonely and when you're busy I seek out other forms of entertainment."

"Beep, Beep asshole."

Richie began sitting up on his elbows, "Why do you need to be in the room alone anyway? You getting a little hot and bothered, spaghetti?" He asked, eyebrows wiggling.

Eddie blushed, "Shut up. God you're disgusting." He mumbled, "I just want some me time, you know."

"No, no I get it. You and lil Eds need time for each other,"

Eddie scrunched up his red face,

"I'm sorry," Richie feigned, exhaling smoke, "Big Eds, then."

"Your sense of humor ever gonna turn 13, Trashmouth?"

"Any day now," Richie said, fully getting up.

"Welp, I've got a shift to get to," he'd gotten a job at the campus coffee shop that was open until midnight. Richie had eight til close a few nights a week.

Eddie sighed, "Do you have to? I don't want to go back and try to make my music an acceptable volume for Alex to study to."

"Does he not like ABBA?"

"I don't know! The kid doesn't seem to like anything besides being perfectly respectable!"

Richie scoffed, "Blasphemy. The sheer nerve."

Eddie rolled onto his back, "Whatever. I'm just tired of being so pent up all the time. I can't even dance in there. it's too awkward."

"I've been missing seeing you shake it too, Eds. In those little shorts, the stuff of dreams."