3. Ink the Deal

Thursday, December 06, 2018

Raghuveer prided himself on always being calm, as being one who maintained his cool even under the direst circumstances. Yet, he was befuddled as to what to make out of the sight in front of him and decided that it was only rational to think that he was hallucinating. But he would have to admit it made a spectacular vision. Tall, with chiselled features, a bare upper body that displayed carved pectoral muscles, a silk ivory dhoti with elegant folds and flaming hair. It was indeed the embodiment of male perfection and Raghuveer could understand the phrase 'handsome as the Devil'

Though why the Devil had to appear as though he had stepped out of one of Kamakshi's calendars was beyond his mortal logic. He blinked a couple of times; the vision in front of him did not change, though the flames did flicker in weird shapes. And instead of answering its question, he burst out, "Why did you take this form?"

A flash of amusement crossed the handsome features of the self-confessed Devil, "Is that what you truly want? To know why I chose to look like this? I thought..."

"No," Raghuveer interrupted, desperation making him sound hoarse; he was not going to lose this chance to save his son, however unbelievable the Devil appearing could be, "My son's life for my soul."

The Devil cocked his head and smiled; the flames on his head crackling higher. Sweat beaded on Raghuveer's brow as the Devil replied, "I will answer your question first. I thought you might be more accepting if I appeared in a familiar form though your bewilderment says that it was a misconception on my part. Now as to what you want, you are only to ask, not assume the bargain. And as far as your battle-ridden, war mongering soul is concerned, it is already mine, so it is useless as a bargaining chip. However,—"

Raghuveer spluttered to indignant silence at the sight of the raised hand, years of obeying orders had ingrained the habit of following orders even if it went against everything he felt, and he swallowed his protests.

"—there is something you can do for me. Something, which you are an expert at."

Silence twirled around them and droplets of sweat threaded their way down, drenching his sweater. Raghuveer felt the air tighten around him, the heat ripple through his bones and he whispered, "I am an expert?"

"Modesty? I admire that. Or maybe it is forgetfulness, a natural phenomenon in testing times. Anyway, let us not waste much time, I will need you for your shooting skills."

So the Devil knew of his stint as a sniper, which should not have surprised him. Raghuveer had served for two years on a special assignment, as part of the RAW operation in the Kashmir region to infiltrate various ISI-backed Kashmiri separatist groups and restore peace in the Kashmir valley. Even in the Kargil war, his sniper skills had been called upon. But he could not fathom why the Devil would need a mere mortal's assistance to kill someone. That idea roiled in him though the next sentence chilled him to the core.

"Seven kills for the life of your son."

So there it was; he would have to kill seven people, to save his son. It was as he had feared, but what appalled him was that the shock at hearing it lasted a mere few seconds; it was as if he was ready to take up the job though he was not sure if it would be easy. Curiosity filled him; who were those whom the Devil wished dead? And why was he chosen? And what was the catch, there would always be one.

The Devil sighed and let his shoulders sag, "Puny humans and their inconvenient morals. Do not worry, I will give you a valid justification. And as to why you, desperation makes for a far more willing warrior. "