19 - Familiar Scent

Soyeon had never thought she would deal with this much trauma. She sat in the living room, tears streaming down her face. Still unable to process the fact that her daughter was gone. Sihyeon stood in the hallway, watching her mother sit almost lifeless on the couch she hadn't been sleeping either. Her mother stopped her visits, causing her to stay up, waiting for her to return.

"Mommy.." Sihyeon mumbled. Soyeon didn't move, just stared at the floor in front of her. "Mommy..." Sihyeon got closer to her, sitting next to her on the couch. She frowned when her mother looked at her, finally snapping back to reality.

"I'm sorry..." Soyeon quickly wiped her eyes, looking at her daughter. "What's the matter?" She asked.

"I'm tired..." She whispered while climbing onto her mother's lap. Soyeon held her tightly, knowing that she wasn't sleeping well.

"You should sleep honey..." She cooed. Sihyeon shook her head, afraid of everything, she didn't want to be alone at night, but could never find the strength to move herself. Soyeon carried her daughter to her room, laying in the giant bed with her. "We both need sleep." Soyeon whispered. Sihyeon nodded slowly, laying on her stomach to watch her mother. Soyeon just rubbed her back gently, slowly easing her into a much needed nap.

She saw the dark circles under her daughter's eyes. The poor girl was barely sleeping and she felt horrible for her. Soyeon knew what she had seen... Her eldest holding her younger sister, clinging to her. But she didn't know what Sihyeon had seen.. For all she knew, she could've seen the entire attack, and every time she closed her eyes... Soyeon shook her head at the assumption. She didn't want to think that.

Sihyeon however didn't seen the bear attack every time she closed her eyes. She saw the dark cloud looming around Mia, attacking her instead. Her sister's screaming out for her... Her entire body was frozen.. She knew she could've helped if she hadn't been so scared..

Sihyeon woke up first, seeing her mother asleep next to her. It was dark out, which meant the entire house was dark. She moved herself closer to her mother, feeling her protective arm wrap around her tightly. She smiled at the embrace, nuzzling into her mother's chest as she calmed down again.

When the two woke up again, it was morning. Soyeon got her daughter ready for school, walking with her down the path towards the giant building.

"Be good okay?" Soyeon whispered. "No scaring other children, just... work on your school work." She sighed.

"Yes mommy." Sihyeon mumbled.

She sat in her class, all the kids staring at her. She didn't like it one bit. The teachers allowed her to sit by herself, knowing hat had happened in her family.

When it came time for their outdoor time, Sihyeon sat in the classroom, paging through a book instead of playing outside. A teacher stayed behind to watch her, a frown on her face as she watched the little girl sit at the desk.

"Are you sure you don't want to play outside?" She asked.

"I'm too tired to play." Sihyeon whispered.

"We need answers." Sana growled, fist hitting the table as she looked away from her leaders. "My granddaughter is dead because of whatever is out there." She frowned. "I demand to know who is killing members of my pack and why." She stood up from her chair, walking away from her desk. "And when I do... I'll kill them myself."

"Yes leader Sana." The other leaders bowed, leaving her in silence. Momo stayed behind, watching her sister with tired eyes.

"This is all my fault." She whispered.

"What?" Sana turned to see her sister still in her office.

"All of this... is because of me. I know you have your reasons to believe all of these horrible things are from Shizuha." Momo frowned. "And if I hadn't asked her to scout the mountain with us that night..." She whispered. "She wouldn't be doing this... She would be here... Her normal self."

"Momo... You can't keep blaming yourself for this." Sana shook her head.

"No. It's entirely my fault. My fault that I didn't stop her. My fault that I didn't argue hard enough for her to stay at the camp... My fault that she went on the stupid training mission." Momo broke down into tears, shaking her head as she spoke. "I've cause nothing but trouble these past few years because of one bad decision... I'm better off dead." She whispered. "Maybe then the cycle will cleanse itself."

"No. You can't die." Sana walked to her sister, placing her hands on her shoulders. "None of this is your fault. Shizuha could've said no that night. She could've stayed home instead of helping you with the recruits. She's too good of a person to deny those who need help." Sana frowned.

Momo still shook her head. Her entire mind was made up.

"I think I should go home..." Momo whispered. "Be with my family tonight."

"Yes... Say hi to them for me." Sana smiled.

"I will." Momo mumbled. She left the office without anymore words, heading straight for her home. She shed a few tears during her walk home. She couldn't back out, her mind was made up, and she needed to say goodbye.

A loud clap of thunder woke Sihyeon from her slumber. She looked at her window and saw her mother there. She immediately ran to it, opening it to see the clawed hand reach out for her cheek. Instantly she saw her great aunt collapsing in the woods.

"Tell your mother." Shizuha whispered before leaving.

"MOMMY!" Sihyeon cried after shutting the window.

Within minutes Sihyeon was leading the group of leaders to Momo's near lifeless body. They brought her back into the village, rushing to the emergency room.

"I told you she's gifted." Sana whispered to Soyeon. Mina watched her granddaughter, an eyebrow raised as she approached her. "What are you doing?" She frowned.

"This.." Mina moved her hair, seeing the small scratches on her cheek. She could smell it. Her eyes widened at the scent. "Shizuha..." Mina whispered.